Need help on How to use a Wah pedal Correctly

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stingrayz, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Stingrayz

Jan 15, 2006
    Hello All,

I really need help on how to use the Wah pedal to get a nice sound out of it, I currently use a Cry Baby Bass Wah at the moment. the reason i bought the pedal was to play some cliff burton songs ( Ktulu ) I have an over-drive box. But i cant seem to get the sounds right. can anyone give me any basic pointers on how to use it and get the most out of the sound ?

Thank you :)
  2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

Let's try the effects forum..................

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:
  3. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    First thing is the setup. 90% of people who use wah setup this way: Bass>distortion>wah>amp

this way, you wah the distortion instead of distorting the wah. I sometimes switch the order around to get some really wacky, winey sounds. Other than that, just listen to the recording and learn their rocking patterns and such.
  4. if you wanna get that burton sound, ur gonna need a harsh distortion and an aggreissive wah, and IMHO the dunlop cry baby is not the wah for it. Too..urm... bubbly and funky sounding. im not saying its a bad wah tho :)

Pretty much what FunkSlap said, listen to the recording if your wanting to copy other people.

For playing your own stuff, long slow sweeps sound awsome on low notes. While short, sharp and quick sweeps sound awsome to accentuate high notes, or a single not. sort of what cliff did.

Just mess around with it and get yourself comfortable with it and find you own style :bassist:
  5. Stingrayz

Jan 15, 2006
    Hiya all.

Thanks for your help, but i was wondering, what kind of Distortion/wah should you recommend ? I was already considering getting a Jekyll Hyde Distortion, not sure about the Wah yet.

6. hey... im getting a J&H too!... your like the 4th person in two weeks on here :p

That should work fine, or a big muff is fantastic. Esp the russian ones.

For a wah... The older Morleys would be the way to go. Im not sure on the new one though, ive heard mixed reviews. I just picked up an Ibanez Weeping Demon and love it. Works really well with distortion and lots of options to find your perfect tone. And theres absolutely no bottom end loss at all. I did a review on mine, and theres some clips that i added further down the page (including a Burton type sample).

Check it out....