Need help on mounting my pickup

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by davidyu77, Nov 15, 2002.

1. davidyu77

Jul 11, 2002

I just bought a "Underwood PT Ring Bass Pickup", but I'm having a trouble mounting it to my bass.
    Can you see the picture attached, and give me some advice?

thank you.
  2. davidyu77

Jul 11, 2002
    here is the drawing
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If it's a standard Underwood (Underwood PT Ring?), you have to shim the space if it's to large. There are a few ways to do this, but the cheapest and quickest is to use the color-ad newsprint from the Sunday paper. Past experience with this -- it doesn't compress much, so once you have it fit, it stays pretty well. The more pro way of doing it is to use some thin wood, available at your luthiers or local hobby shop. Someone mentioned somewhere here, DonO, I think, that used sax reeds (YOU touch it) work well as they are wedge shaped and make it easy to adjust the snugness of the fit as desired.
  4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    It's also important to note that there are two different types of wings on bridges. One type has a flat bottom, parallel to the top of the foot. The Underwood is designed to fit in this type of bridge. The other type has "curlicue"-shaped wings. I don't think the Underwood will work well with those. Maybe others have experience with them, but I've made it a point to use flat-bottom-wing-shaped bridges since I'm an Underwood user.
  5. Yes, I recommended using sax reeds. They're tapered, they don't absorb the vibrations as much, and it's one less sax player doing 32 choruses of Cherokee.
  6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I had the same situation with my current bridge. I had a violin shop glue in shims so that it would have the correct shape and spacing. It cost about 10 and is a better idea than wedging in something that may wiggle around and change the sound between gigs.

7. cyclone -
    I have never had the problem you describe, no matter how many times the bass has been used, put in and out of the case, etc. In addition, because of the taper to the reed, the pressure of the fit is infinitely adjustable.