Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help on my bass, or should I get a new one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by interule, Feb 27, 2006.

1. interule

interule

Jul 1, 2005
    Here's my dilema.

I play in a metal band where the guitarist are all tuned to "drop b". All our songs are written that way so that how I've leanred them on my 5-string. The only thing that sucks is that I have to tune the bottom four strings up a whole step which tightens them a lot and makes the fast note transitions harder to play. I'm wondering If I should shoot for a 4 string instead and tune it down, or any other suggestions you may have. One problem is that I am a LEFTY, so it make it VERY difficult to go try basses out.
    Rite now 'm using a Dean edge 5-string lefty. Any tips at all would be great. Thanks.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Learn how to play this stuff in standard tuning. I did it a lot when one of my bands sis a lot of drop d stuff. It'll be a challenge, but it will make you a much better player to know a song by notes as much as by muscle memory.

3. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    Use slightly smaller guage strings on the four that you tune up. borrow a micrometer and measure them,then go 5-10 thou lighter.

4. interule

interule

Jul 1, 2005
    Thats an idea I might try :)

5. +1!
    Okay. First. I guess I'm having a "brain-fart" because the "drop-b" just doesn't make sense to me for a guitar. Lowest string on a guitar is an E, and it just isn't registering what you're talking about. Let's try this;

What key are you playing in?

Second. To me, the "bottom 4 strings are "tonal" and mean the B E A D. Why would you change those if you're playing in Drop "B"???

Do you mean "Drop D"??????? If so; then learn to play the key with the 5ver and you'll play rings around the others in the band. You need to learn your instrument. Don't keep changing it for each tune or band you're in. If you know your bass, then you're more versitile for playing and reading whatever and whenever you need to.

6. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    ++1

i only play in standard with my bass now, all the tuning changes was a pain in the ass and i will agree that i am a better player now because i sat down and learned all my music like this and built up the muscle memory.