1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help on new amp decision....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Samuel Newsham, Oct 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I play mostly top 40 stuff in a regular gigging band. I am mid sale of my amp toward a new to me rig. Before playing in this band I was a big gear junkie as a guitarist in a metal band.... bass gear I am kinda lost and need some help from the community. I'm looking at an Ashdown ABM 1200 with a 4x10 cab and an Eden WT-1205 head and would need to find a reasonable cab to go with it. (The amp I'm selling is a GK 1001RB 2X10 combo just not the tone to pull off everything from Toto to Drake with a 5 string if you know what I mean.) Am I missing anything else that I should be looking at and the budget for the head and cab is under $1k (which I know sucks but unfortunately where i'm at. Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks gents.

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    At that budget I would be going through the classified to try to find something used.

For a head you want to look at something 300W @ 8 ohms/500 @ 4. GK MB-500 and Fender Rumble 500 are dent heads in your price range.

For cabs you want 2 15s, 2 12s, or 4 10s. Lots of good (heavy) 410s out there, or look at GK Neos.

I know you were not happy with the GK, but the new ones are versatile, modern sounding amps, and a good deal. To give you an idea, earlier this year I was on a cruise, equipped with them - full range of music. None of the bassists owned GKs, but everyone was happy with them - jazz, top 40 rock, Latin, etc.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Can you pull the 1001RB out of the combo cabinet and use that with a more appropriately sized cabinet? I would venture to guess your problem with the tone is the speaker cabinet part of the combo amp, not the amp head, itself.

4. I'm sure I could but is there a market for the enclosure and speakers?

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Maybe, maybe not, but utilizing what you already own (the GK) will help keep you on budget. Plus, it is a superb amp; you might end up with a sideways, or lower, move by replacing it, possibly.