Need help on Rackmounts!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Sep 9, 2004.

1. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Hey Guys! It's been awhile.

I'm thinking of getting started on Rackmounts. Since my SWR 350-X is a rackmount, I want to start getting a rackmount case. The problem is, where to start.

I'm planning on having these components on the rackmount case.

Power Conditioner (Furman? Can anyone recommend a good one?) - 1 Space
    SWR 350-X Amp - 2 Space
    Korg DTR1 - 1 Space
    dbx 266xl compressor - 1 Space

These are the following components that I am planning to have in the rackmount case. I would also like to get one of those 2 space "drawers" for cables/strings/batteries/fuses etc.. So I'm looking at getting a 6 space.

Can anyone recommend a good Rackmount case, which is sturdy, but doesn't weigh 30lbs without anything in it? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Unless you need the lights that a Furman provides, I'd say to save some ca$h and get a spike bar / power strip. It's the same thing without all the fancy lights.
  3. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
  4. Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    well, i'd say you should go with the furman if you really need a little more than a power strip. the myth of a furman just being a power strip with lights is completely false; the furman can save your ass mid gig if there's a problem with the venue powering system, and you will almost never have any overload problems or other crazy stuff happen to your rig. if you get one for 50 dollars or a little more, it's worth it i think.

as for the rack case, IvanMike is selling one skb 6 space for 65 bucks if i remember correctly, it sells cheap i guess, and its a good, reliable one. just check the 'selling' forum and scroll down a bit.

click here