Need help on selecting pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DaveAceofBass, Apr 30, 2004.

1. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Dear Talkbassers,
    You may have seen my post about my new Linc Luthier 5-string Impression bass being made. :hyper: I am trying to find a custom pickup arrangement and would like feedback from people experienced with different types. Let me explain what I'm after. First of all, you must know that on the typical Linc Luthier bass there are the W-style Bartolini soapbar humbuckers in series, with no switching. These are rather bright sounding basses, and Linc doesn't seem to care for the parallel idea. On my new bass we will also have an RMC piezo bridge with a Hybrid B buffer preamp. The maximum on the controls is 4 knobs, and possibly 2 switches, and it's basically passive other than the buffer preamp. There is also going to be a dual output jack, the way that works is that one output is an active mixed signal, the other is passive mags only, and when two cables are used you'll get independent mags and piezos. If anyone has experience with the RMC Hybrid B and dual outputs please reply. The Hybrid takes the signal from the blend pot and adds a Master Volume, piezo/mag blend, and Master tone. I'm not sure what controls what when using both jacks. :meh:

Now for my next problem. I would like to get various coil arrangements. I think what I'd like is neck pickup to be P or reverse P switched to standard humbucker (first switch), and the bridge to have standard humbucker to MM to J pickup sound. I'd prefer two way switches like Ken Smiths, because those switches feel more durable than 3-way switches. I originally thought about Bart quad coils, or perhaps Bart quad in the neck and Bart triple coil in the bridge. But now I've heard all these great things about Villex pickups, and William Villex seems very willing to make me what I want, :) and I like the idea of the mid control, but I really don't know how I could fit that into a four knob setup, or if we tried to stack some pots which would be the best to stack. And like I said before, I'm confused on how the dual outputs will work. I would really like to get as much input from everybody as possible, I'm very confused :confused: on what would be the best way to go, with the most full and natural sound, and decent output with no loss in the bass response. :help: