Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help on setting up 210s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pinkfloyd16, Dec 22, 2000.

1. pinkfloyd16

pinkfloyd16

Oct 25, 2000
    hey you guys
    i have a peavey 115BxBW(thats probably low grade to some of you guys but this is what i can afford in a short amount of time) also it came with a peavey mark 3 bass head. ive looked in to in and read about it i also checked out the back on the back it says 500w now my first of many questions what does that mean? My next question is it has two outputs or inputs in the back for cabs (i think outputs)and it says 4 ohms 150w now my next question is does this mean that since i have a peavey115Bx bw it only produces 150w of power since i know for sure that it can handle much more than that? my next question is the following. im going to get 210 on top of that it sould 4 ohms right (help me out if im wrong) and what wattage should i get and if i hook it up with the head, therefore having two connections coming out of the head, one the 115 and the other to the 210, does this produce another 150w to a total of 300w or does(going back to the top) it go up more? if anyone can help me out here that will do just great
    oh yeah what kind of 210s should i get i want something thats nice and warm i was looking at edens

my next question is i have two inputs in the front on my head one of them says poweramp and preamp input what are these and do ineed them for anything
    (if you have anything else to say or add please do)

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Hi Pink,

DON'T PLUG ANOTHER 4OHM CAB INTO YOUR HEAD, YOU WILL BLOW IT.

The Mark III head is designed to put out 150 watts into 4 ohms. As I recall the Peavey BW 15 (which isn't a bad cab so don't be embarrassed) is 4 ohms so you can't really add another cab to your setup. If you do add another cab your total output impedance (ohm rating) will be too low for the amp to handle safely. The 500 Watt number by the power cord is the electrical power usage of the head.

If you want to have 2 cabs coming out of your head they will need to be 8 ohm cabs and each cab will get 75 watts.

You may want to consider saving up some money and trading in your Peavey BW15 for a 4ohm eden 410. It will allow you to get the most of of your head because it is a very loud cab and will still pump out solid lows.

Regarding the front inputs: preamp out and power amp in is an effects loop; if you take a line from pre out into a pedal (let's say) and take the output of the pedal into the power amp in you should get better noise control than putting the pedal between your bass and the head input.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Just to add to the confusion, the Peavey 115BXBW is available in 4 and 8 ohms, so you should check your cab.

4. pinkfloyd16

pinkfloyd16

Oct 25, 2000
    hey i thank all of you that are helping me out here i have a few more questions if i only have one connection coming from the 115 how many watts is being used and if i do get 410s what should the ohms be 8 or 4? and what else can i add to it cause i do want a 15 somewhere there to give me rumbling or is this impossible
    any body give websites to great feals on 210s 410s and 115 at 8 ohms or should i just get a new head that can support 115@4 ohms and 210@4 ohms what head should i get that can handle this? any advice suggestions will do just great

thanx for all the help

5. i dont know about the head, but i dont think it has much power at all... about the cabs though... I think it would be the smartest if you want to get a 1x15 and a 2x10, you should have both cabs be 8ohms, making a matching impedence of 4ohms, and most amps that are out there run at 4 ohms, unless its got a sterio power amp, and thats a whole other thread.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hey Muttluk -

How's that new rig working out? Did you get your EQ the way you want it? Brief me.