Need help on upgrading my amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Twistad, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Here's the deal.

I've been playing with the same amp since i've started, it's a Fender Frontman 60B and i've always hated it. I bought it when i started and didn't know much about bass playing. It sounds awful at high volume and i always get this buzzing sound when i'm playing over 3.

What i also find very strange is the fact that this amp is not even on the fender website. I also couldn't find any one on ebay.

Anyway, i'm now at the point where i want to change it for something better. I'd like to spend maximum 1000$ CAN but if i can go lower then it's better.

I'm looking for a very clean sounding amp with no buzz like my other one has. I play a G&L Tribute L-2500 and i'd like something a bit vintage that'll sound warm and big. It has to sound good fingerstyle and for slap. I'll probably try getting it used so you may also consider this.

Thanks a lot in advance.
  2. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

I'd like to suggest tubes, but it seems a bit outta your price range. A Vintage V4B is what I just bought... $300 US. Tubes are still in good shape, and it sounds fantastic.

But... I suppose you could look for something on a budget. Kustom GrooveBass and an Avatar cab of your choice. If its not warm enough, you can look into the Sansamp RBI. I loved what that thing did for my B2R when I tried it out. Personally, I dont mind the B2R's tone, but the RBI just created way more possibilities.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What about the Ampeg B100R in the For Sale forum? It sounds warm and big, and is way below your price limit. It is also an excellent small combo.

How loud are looking to be?

4. Well, i'm playing with a guitarist and a drummer, the guitarist is playing on a 100 watt marshall so i guess something over 100 watt would be good. I'm not playing arenas yet so, i don't need that much power.
  5. The Yorkville xs400 combo is less than $1000.00 cdn. It will absolutely keep up with a 100W Marshall. I used one for a while before I got a xs800H with 2 guitars with Marshall 4x12's.

That is if you want a combo. I quite liked it. Great warranty too. And made in Canada!

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I currently use a Kustom GrooveBass 1200 and an Avatar 210 NEO. Fantastic tone with lot's of warmth and punch. Costs about $880 including shipping. :hyper:

I don't do the "dirty, gritty" thing, but it plays that effectively as well.

I'll be getting a 212 NEO whan they are released from Avatar and pull all 1200 watts outta that puppy. I'd like to se my guitarist Marshall's hang with me then! :D

You should consider this bang for the buck out there, IMO.

Here are the links:
  7. So, i've looked into most of the amps you have suggested and the yorkville xs400 looks really good. Do you guys know where on the net i could find one? I looked on ebay and couldn't find any.

Thanks again for the great suggestions, i'll keep looking.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    here ya go:
  9. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I'd second the Yorkville combo.
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Talk with TB'er BassikLee.

He's a dealer for Yorkville. I'm sure he can talk details with you and I believe he'll ship.
  11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Personally I'd have a look at a GK 700 and something other than a 2x10 Avatar... or a 2x10 anything ... You're playing an active 5 string right ? You'll want a little more cab than that.

The GK is fairly small, lightweight and reasonable powerful. That head has some real usseful tone shaping abilities and built in front panel DI. Weel thought out, pro-level gear. GK has been very reliable over the years.

If you need portability and flexability you might want took think about a pair of 1x12's or a 1x15 and a 1x10. If the portability and size isn't as important then a 2x12 would be a powerful choice.

Good luck in your hunt through the used market
  12. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Call up the Long & McQuade in Ottawa to make sure they have 1 in stock and take a little road trip. The XS400/800 have a big full sound, and a great tube overdrive.