1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help/opinions about a ticket.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jimmyjames77, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Hey guys I'm looking for some educated guesses on my ticket I just got as to whether or not contest it. I got a ticket for parking in a handicap space in a mall parking lot. I did not mean to park in a handicap spot. I've never done it and never willingly would. The reason I think I might win the contested ticket and have it exponged is that while the ground was painted (I noticed it after I saw the tciket) there was no sign posted saying that it was a handicap spot. In this very same lot where I got the ticket the other handicap spots all have the signs posted at eye level labeling them so.
    So does anyone have any experience with this type of situation or can you point me to some good information about what I can do, if anything?
    Thanks a lot guys,
    Jim.

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Many years ago, I got ticketed for turning right on red at a 'no turn on red' corner. It was at night and the officer issuing the ticket said the sign was "...on the post at the corner".

I corrected him and said that; "the sign at the corner says Right Turn Buses and Bicycles Only".

He retorted that; "If it's not there then I think it's mounted above the light".

I went back and looked, and it was. Being that it was at night, the sign was was very difficult to see from inside a car.

So I went to court and pled Guilty with Explaination. I told the Judge the story and the officer's reply. (Use the term Officer. Do not say "THE COP...")

I also explained that I thought the sign was difficult to see at night, and while I did indeed see the sign when I went back the second time, I also saw other cars turning right on red.

I told the Judge I would pay the fine, and suffer the consequences, but I thought it unfair for the city to gain an advantage for lack of the signs visibility at night and continue to ticket other motorists. The Judge suspended his decision and asked me to consult with the city engineer with the Judge's written instructions and tell him my story.

A week later, I received a note from the traffic bureau: My ticket was waived along with any fines. The city placed a sign in a more visible area.

So, to make a long story short: Tell them that you did park in the Handicap spot unintentionally and understand that you were 'wrong'. But request that they mark the spaces more clearly so that there's NO DOUBT that regular parking is not allowed there so that others don't suffer the same fate.

It just might work for you too.