Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEED HELP! OUT OF IDEAS!!!!!!! *jazz band stuffs*

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Oct 7, 2004.

1. HEY!

You guys have helped me a lot in the past, so I have another question that I know you great bassists will be able to help me out with :D

Ok, in my Jazz band, we are playing a song called Critical Mass by Jeff Jarvis. I'm lost for ideas, I've never heard the song played by a band before, and we dont have a recordingn of it at the school, and i cant find one online. So the part isn't written in, all chords, and i want it to sound somewhat like it is played on a recording. Normally I can make something up pretty easy and fast, but this is a slow funk ( quarter note = 104) and the chord changes are kinda wierd, Ami9 - Dmi9 - E+7 - Ami9 - Ab13 - G13. The A to G is killing me, i dont know how to make the slap in the G sound good...

Anyway, if anyone has a recording of this please send it to me or if you've played it in the past give me some ideas please.

-ty

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Its funk... just be funky. who gives a rats arse about the recording? :p

3. I try, but for some reason no matter what i do it just doesn't sound right to me :(

4. you're having trouble with this part?
    Ami9 - Ab13 - G13

look at it as a (modified) II - V - I in G. The Ab13 is a tritone sub for the 5 ... the 5 being D. Now for the quality, I played that progression on the guitar and subbed a D7#9 and it pretty much worked without a hitch...so try using chord tones of D7 where the Ab13 is (i.e. D, F#, A, C...choose wisely, my friend...because A would not work here ... but D would, and you might try F# and approach the G from below)

I hope that helps and doesnt confuse you.

Bass players need to know harmony, too.

5. thx, ill experiment with that :)