NEED HELP! OUT OF IDEAS!!!!!!! *jazz band stuffs*

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Oct 7, 2004.

1. HEY!

You guys have helped me a lot in the past, so I have another question that I know you great bassists will be able to help me out with :D

Ok, in my Jazz band, we are playing a song called Critical Mass by Jeff Jarvis. I'm lost for ideas, I've never heard the song played by a band before, and we dont have a recordingn of it at the school, and i cant find one online. So the part isn't written in, all chords, and i want it to sound somewhat like it is played on a recording. Normally I can make something up pretty easy and fast, but this is a slow funk ( quarter note = 104) and the chord changes are kinda wierd, Ami9 - Dmi9 - E+7 - Ami9 - Ab13 - G13. The A to G is killing me, i dont know how to make the slap in the G sound good...

Anyway, if anyone has a recording of this please send it to me or if you've played it in the past give me some ideas please.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Its funk... just be funky. who gives a rats arse about the recording? :p
  3. I try, but for some reason no matter what i do it just doesn't sound right to me :(
  4. you're having trouble with this part?
    Ami9 - Ab13 - G13

look at it as a (modified) II - V - I in G. The Ab13 is a tritone sub for the 5 ... the 5 being D. Now for the quality, I played that progression on the guitar and subbed a D7#9 and it pretty much worked without a try using chord tones of D7 where the Ab13 is (i.e. D, F#, A, C...choose wisely, my friend...because A would not work here ... but D would, and you might try F# and approach the G from below)

I hope that helps and doesnt confuse you.

Bass players need to know harmony, too.
  5. thx, ill experiment with that :)