1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help :P Beginner's questions :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davidzivanovic, Jan 15, 2012.

1. I play piano for 13 years so far, and as i love jazz, and the shiver that bass music does to me, decided to finally learn how to play my favorite string instrument.
    Anyways, as i couldn't afford decent starter gear, and a friend was selling his old bass guitar, Poland or Chechen one, I don't know, i bought it.
    Learned how to use my fingers, learned how to play tunes even.
    Some classical pieces that i love, translated from piano to bass, and it works wonderful.
    So i started focusing some jazz now, and it goes pretty well until i come to part where i need to slap.
    Tried some easy slap bass line in A minor,and i get weird sound of string striking wood, which out volumes sound of bass, and it sounds really ugly.
    I don't know if is it magnet , or what, but it really messes my sound.
    Btw, would appreciate any good site with some bass starter instructions, with some sheets or something, or perhaps some guitar pro database with wicked lines :D

I suppose this all sounds really childish and not serious to
    you, but i was hoping that i can find some help here.
    I own a weird Worich Bass, which photos i will post if i can find where, now. Thank you for your time at least for reading this post :D

Attached Files:

2. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    part of the slap sound is achieved not just by hitting the string with your thumb,but by pulling away very quickly.hit hard and fast and you shouldn't have any problems.

3. IStoleYourCar

IStoleYourCar

Jan 2, 2012
    +1
    And that is a very interesting looking bass

4. Davejs

Davejs

Dec 21, 2011
    Beautiful Bass love the color.

5. Just looking at it, i would say that bass would benefit from new strings and a set up.

If it is a problem with the bass, a good set up should fix it.

Afterwards, I would get a bass teacher. Even if it's only a couple months, getting a professional to help you learn technique will be incredibly beneficial. Remember, it's so much easier to fix bad technique now than when it becomes a habit.

6. Nope,its not that , even the gentlest touch of string makes that weird metal clinking sound :D I think the strings are maybe too close to wood, so that might be the problem.
    I wish i could record sound and post it to you guys rofl :p

Heh, well thank you i suppose. I feel special already :D

Thank you !:D

New strings, yeah, that could do it, a bit ravaged on parts, after all this bass is 9-13 years old , as i seen when i searched for it.
    Well, set up and teacher is a bit harder. You see, i am a student of physics, at University of Novi Sad, and really can't afford any of those, cause not enough free time to get a decent job, and i can't rely on my parents to send me more money, cause it simply aint
    fair :D
    Well, my technique is fairly weird, I didn't start at regular picking but first thing i downloaded was Victor Wooten bass technique from one of his long interviews, where he explains how to use your thumb as a pick more-less.( live at bass day 1998).
    So i started there, and it worked pretty much really nicely so far, my only problem is that i have a lot of pain in my left hand on my thumb muscle, that stretches to hand( while i am holding guitar, and i press with my thumb to get a good balance for my other fingers while i press strings).

If you have any nice online tutorials, it would help me much more :hyper: