Need Help picking a 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The MOMET, Jun 25, 2004.

Which one?

Poll closed Jul 5, 2004.
  1. MTD Kingston 5 Active/Ash

33 vote(s)
  2. Skyline 55-01

32 vote(s)
  3. Tribute L-2500 Premium

22 vote(s)
  1. The MOMET

The MOMET Guest

May 20, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I have decided I want to get a 5 string and am looking opinions on the three basses that I have narrowed it down to.

MTD Kingston 5 Active/Ash
    Skyline 55-01
    Tribute L-2500 Premium

Please let me know your opinions on playability, tone, value, etc. If you think their is a strong candidate (comparably priced) outside of these three then please mention it
  2. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    When faced w/ the same decision,,,, I choose the Lakland. However, I never did get my hands on a Kingston... & I really hated the ugly pickguards....

SO, IMHO,,, make sure you try a Kingston...

I'm completely happy w/ my choice...
  3. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Have you played them all? I'd personally go with the Lakland but you've gotta go with what you like man. :bassist:
  4. The MOMET

The MOMET Guest

May 20, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I have played the Lakland and the Tribute. I love the tone on the Tribute buy like the neck and scale of the Lakland. I am having a hard time finding a Kingston to play. I am in Chicago. Do you know any place that has them?
  5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I've played a G&L L-2500 and a Lakland 55-01. Personally, I don't like the sound of the Lakland-01's, I don't like soapbar pickups. Usually, I side with Lakland on every issue (I am a proud owner of a 44-02), but I have to go with the G&L on this one.
  6. d_money

Jun 13, 2004
    well I've never played the tribute l-2500 but I do own a lakland 55-01 and I have to say that even though the bass only cost me $700, it was on par with any bass in the $1500 to $2000 range. I've put the tone in my bass against a couple of 55-02's and I have preferred my bass everytime although that's a good bass as well
  7. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Those are all the biggest bang-for-buck instruments out there right now, so you really can't go wrong with any of them. Part of me says close your eyes and pick one.
    However you have to decide which is most important to you-
    tonal variety?
    My $.02 :smug:
  8. fragcon

Jun 23, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    The MTD because its ASH =) does it have barts?
  9. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I am pretty sure the are not barts. However, all of the basses listed are Ash. I am partial to Ash/Maple configs.
  10. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    See, now this is odd. I've played NON-tribute G&L's, & didn't like them as much as my Skyline...
  11. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    What kind of neck are you looking for? I don't know all that much about the Kingston but I know the Lakland and the G&L have vastly different feeling necks.

Lakland 35" scale and really wide at the heel (3.3")
    G&L 34" scale and not that wide (2.75")

I know they are both great basses. I've owned the Lakland for a brief period and liked the tone but couldn't get use to the big neck. Played, never owned G&L 2500 and thought it was a great fingerstyle player.

12. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    except for a 55-02
  13. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I live in the Chi-town burbs. I've never seen the Kingstons here either. Try Make n' Music on Artesian just north of Lake Ave. I know they used to carry MTD, but I haven't been there in a while. Cool store anyway. They definitely carry Lakland.
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I prefer the sound of my wife's 55-01 to the 55-02 as well. IMHO, the Bart J/MM setup is bland and 'polite' sounding. Now a 55-02 with the optional Duncan electronics and preamp, that would be sorely tempting!
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would go with the Lakland. I havent played the MTD nor the Lakland but the Lakland looks nicer and has more of the features i like.