Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help picking a cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassBeat33, Feb 13, 2005.

1. BassBeat33

BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    ok here's the deal, i'm in the process of upgrading to a better rig. i am planning on running a Ampeg svt3pro head, but am stuck on what cabinet to get. i recently began to look at avatars; they seem to be a great deal for the money, but how good are they? I've also been looking at an Aguilar s410, does anybody have anything to say about these?
    i guess what im getting at is, in your opinions, would i be better off getting 2 Avatar cabinets(112&210 or 212&410, somthing like that) or 1 Aguilar cabinet(S410)? i'm will to spend about $650 on a cabinet(s).

please help me out

2. Well, Ampeg has three 4x10s in that price range. for more choices check out musicianfriend.com and music123.com.

Good luck.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I was skeptical of Avatar until I finally bought a SB112. I was really impressed with it. I thought it sounded great. Very comparable to the Aggie 112.

The Aggie 410 will probably cost you all, or almost all of that $650. Those two Avatars you are wondering about will leave you with some cash leftover from the $650. The 112 and 210 setup is good and popular. It can be purchased for about $400 together used.

-Mike

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What type of sound are you after? The world is your oyster, nowadays, when it comes to bass gear. There are loads of great choices out there.

Tom.

5. BassBeat33

BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    it is hard to describe the genre of my band other than general rock, we have some harder stuff and some softer stuff and everything inbetween so whatever rig i have has to be versatile. I'm kind of leaning toward Avatar just because of the good prices, ill still have money left over to buy some other equipment, but still I am skeptical. any more ideas or opinions?

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If you play loud music at upper-medium size venues, then you'd better hope that the 3Pro has enough power for you. That's agenda #1.

As for the cabs... I'd get a pair of Avatars, seeing as how you will only have 450Watts of power max, you might as well have a lot of speakers to increase your volume.

I'd go with the 210 and the 115. Another option for a balanced setup is actually the 212 stacked under a 112. Not many people have gone that route, but it seems like it would work out.

But... I always like to recommend a 15 cab somewhere in the mix, in case you get stuck playing in an outdoor situation. Ya never know.....

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Fair enough, but what do you want to hear out of your rig?