1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help picking a microphone

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by g4string, Jul 26, 2016.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    So I need help picking out a mic. I need a mic that has a wide cardiod pattern and will work well picking up the entire band. The intended purpose is for band monitoring in a wired IEM solution. Weird request. I know. Hear me out.

I need something to send to my singers IEM pack so she can hear the band. In a perfect world, she'll justo take an aux send from the house board and work with the engineer on getting her mix right. However, were at the stage where we will be an opening act, not headlining. My fear is (1) the clubs will not want to spend much time fiddling with IEM mixes for an opening act singer (2) will not have the proper board for having extra aux sends for IEM singers. With that in mind, I want a solution that is plug and play and can cover us/her just incase the club can't accommodate her IEM needs. I have a solution devised for her vocal monitoring that uses a mic splitter and gain booster which allows her to send her own vocals back to her wired body pack (she's using a presonus hp2). This eliminates the dependancy on the FOH guy for her vocal monitoring. However, she still needs to hear the band. The presonus has two inputs the can be summed for one blendible mono mix. She'll have her voice in one side. I want to use some sort of field mic set up on stage and send that signal to the other side her body back for instrument monitoring. I know it's not ideal, but it will cover us/her when we run into the situation where the club's equipment is lacking or the FOH guy is a douche. Any thoughts on a mic than would work in this solution.

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    A pair of behringer reference condensers ... cheap - of course and surprisingly good. I do a Taiko drum event every year and set my pair up in an XY. 1 inch apart vertically, capsuls overlapping. I've done the same with chorus. works great

3. I use a Rode M3 above the drums to pick up drums for my IEM as usually the kick is the only thing in the FOH mix. I also take a line from the FOH for my IEM. The M3 picks up almost everything!

If the venues are using active FOH systems (most are) it may be easier (and better) to take the parallel line out off the sub on side of stage to run to her IEM. I keep a $40 Line splitter in my gigbag. If there is no line out off the Sub, I put the line splitter in and take the isolated out to my IEM.

I use a Yamaha MG-06 4 channel desk to mix FOH, Rode M3, my vocals (via a mic splitter box I put at the base of my Mic stand) and my bass to my IEM. A great IEM mix without having the ask anything of the Sound guy.

The importance of running the Mic splitter box on my Mic is to remove phase cancelation. If you add your vocal to the FOH mix, sometime the voice from 2 different sources cancels. Flip the phase switch on the splitter and it all magically reappears.

Hope this helps!

4. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    Why send everything to the singers IEM? You could use the stage volume and a Behringer MA 400 to feed her own mic to the in ears, and done. Works pretty good, and is a very easy and cheap solution. The in ears will generally lower the volume, but in the same way as earplugs, so it shouldn't be an issue. I use this setup myself to and feed a additional line out from my bass to the MA 400 so I can mix my vocals and bass.

5. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    The stereo mic I'm selling would be perfect. In my signature.

6. flatfender

flatfender Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit Supporting Member

One of the bands I play used to use a couple of Crown PZM185 mics for ambient IEM. You can find them used on ebay.

They run off a AAA battery (or phantom power) and has an XLR output. The sound guy would tape them to the side of the FOH speaker stacks on each side, but they would probably work good anywhere. Any more it seems the vocal mikes pick up enough audio to do the job, but we have everything miked and can choose own own IEM mix.

A single SM57 on a normal mic stand off to the side or in the middle on a short stand pointed upstage will work too.