1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help picking a mid driver!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Myth_103, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

I'm doing a vertical 4x10 with eminence bp102s. My internal volume is about ~9.91 ft^3. I have no idea what mid driver would be best for my situation or at what frequency I should cross over at. Feel free to throw your suggestions my way. I also need to make sure that it's volume will be able to hang with all the other woofers.

2. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Myth 103, I think you've picked out a very intelligent format for a 4x10 cabinet.

So I apologize in advance for trying to throw a monkey-wrench in the works, but... any chance you aren't committed to the BP102 yet?

The reason is, the BP102 has a large saddle in the response centered on 500 Hz. A hole in that region is undesirable for a bass guitar, in my opinion anyway. In order to adequately fill that saddle you'd need some overlap, and the midrange driver would have to be -3 dB down around 400 Hz or below. The 18Sound 6ND410 comes to mind, but that relatively low crossover would be putting a lot of strain on it - such that it would probably be the limiting factor in your system. But if you cross over higher up to lighten its load, you've got that hole in the midrange.

A possible alternative to the quartet of BP102s is a single Kappalite 3015LF. It's comparable in efficiency to a quartet of BP102s, and actually has a little bit more air-moving capacity. And, the 3015LF can be crossed over higher up (like 800 Hz or so) with no saddle, putting the midrange driver under a lot less stress.

If this sounds a lot like greenboy's fEarful 15/6, or Barefaced's The Big One, well it's no coincidence. Those are both very well thought-out designs in my opinion.

3. Myth_103

You make a very valid argument. The reason I had these 4 10s in mind is because I wanted that punch that only 10s could give you along with them being able to kick out some nice deep low end. Think you may have any other solutions but still dealing with 10s?

4. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Wouldn't the mid-driver, especially the 18Sound 6ND410 give you the punch in this equation? Why not go for the extra depth with the EMKL3015LF, as well?

5. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    If you must go with 10"s, you might want to look at the Eminence S2010. More even low mids, and they respond well in bigger boxes, (9.91 cu ft is pretty *******big.)

6. Myth_103

I agree. That size is pretty large. However, I wanted the bp102s to have room to breathe. And I'm not sure the s2010s would give me the depth I was looking for... hmm..

7. Myth_103

How would the Eminence ALPHA-8A be able to handle that low of a crossover?

8. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Myth 103, I think that a well-designed cabinet with larger drivers will have quite adequate punch. Because driver size is one of the few seemingly performance-related specs that are available on most cabs, several... ahem... "myths" have developed. I'm not saying that you don't really hear more punch on certain 4x10 cabs than on other cabs, but it's due to factors other than driver diameter. If we had access to the actual frequency response curves, we'd see a strong correlation between those curves and our subjective impressions.

9. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I have wanted to build the same sort of cab. I currently play an avatar neo 4x10 where I removed one of the 10's, replaced it with a sealed back eminence 8" and crossed over at 800hz. Sounds great. Verticle would be even better. That sealed back 8" sounds great and has a nice top end. No need for a crappy tweeter. Also, since it's sealed, there is no need to build a seperate chamber for it. A verticle cab using 1x15, 2x10 and 1x8 may be even better. Big lows, 10" punch, and 8" clarity. Maybe only 1x10 would be needed and not a pair. An yes, driver diameter does effect the sound alot, this doesn't show up on frequency analysis but none the less, it makes a difference.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That would be Myth #2, underpowering being #1.

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I'm confident that a single 3015LF can provide more punch and move more air than four BP102s. Punch is in the midrange and the 3015LF is much stronger right through the mids. That's a huge cab btw, you could actually fit two 3015LFs in there which would totally flatten four BP102s.

Alex

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yep.