1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help picking a new passive bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bino, May 21, 2004.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    It's time for a new bass. I'm not real adventurous and have only been comparing J types to P types and a few hollowbodies, but can't quite find the sound I'm after in a passive bass. I really like the deep and growly low-end of a jazz, but prefer upper ranges as well as the depth/focus of a P (don't care for that Jazz "openness").

Is there something out there that gives up both? I haven't played any P/Js, how do they sound? What about those Reverends everyone raves about? How about something with split J pickups? You can try talking me into an active bass, but not likely. I'm too utilitarian.

2. :hyper:
    Bino, all I can say is "get one!" I promise, you will not be disappointed. I just spent some time with my Rumblefish this morning and was, yet again, blown away by its fantastic playability, killer tone, and mojo. It sounds like a J, but with that little something extra.
    Let me know if you need help picking out a color.. :D

3. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Dave, I did hear a recording recently of someone slapping on there ' fish and I really liked the tone. Seemed like it had that P focus I like AND really deep. Does that sound accurate? Does it truly sound like a slab- and hollow-body rolled into one? What color is yours?

4. It does sound like that. It has the tonal qualities of both -- really sharp and tight focus like a solidbody, but with a little more air around each note, like a hollowbody. It has such an aggressive edge. The word "slammin'" seems most appropriate to describe the sound.
    My bass is navy blue, they don't make that color anymore. Here's a pic of the 'Fish next to my Curbow.

[​IMG]

5. I am also the proud owner of a blue Rumblefish. Unlike Dave's, mine has the XL option (sadly, no longer made) which is a series/parallel/single coil mini toggle switch. That allows more variation in tone...the series setting is like having 1 big humbucler, the parallel setting is the classic Jazz Bass sound and the single coils allows for a nasally Jacoseque tone. If you go to my band's website http://www.cooldispo.com and go to the merchandise area, there are some cuts from our CD on which I play the 'fish. I use the series setting about 90% of the time for that big thump. You can find Reverends on e-bay pretty reasonably priced and I'd have no qualms about ordering another sight unseen (I bought mine used, shipped, with a gigbag for $360 off harmony-central's want ads).