Need help picking a new passive bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bino, May 21, 2004.

1. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    It's time for a new bass. I'm not real adventurous and have only been comparing J types to P types and a few hollowbodies, but can't quite find the sound I'm after in a passive bass. I really like the deep and growly low-end of a jazz, but prefer upper ranges as well as the depth/focus of a P (don't care for that Jazz "openness").

Is there something out there that gives up both? I haven't played any P/Js, how do they sound? What about those Reverends everyone raves about? How about something with split J pickups? You can try talking me into an active bass, but not likely. I'm too utilitarian.
  2. :hyper:
    Bino, all I can say is "get one!" I promise, you will not be disappointed. I just spent some time with my Rumblefish this morning and was, yet again, blown away by its fantastic playability, killer tone, and mojo. It sounds like a J, but with that little something extra.
    Let me know if you need help picking out a color.. :D
  3. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Dave, I did hear a recording recently of someone slapping on there ' fish and I really liked the tone. Seemed like it had that P focus I like AND really deep. Does that sound accurate? Does it truly sound like a slab- and hollow-body rolled into one? What color is yours?
  4. It does sound like that. It has the tonal qualities of both -- really sharp and tight focus like a solidbody, but with a little more air around each note, like a hollowbody. It has such an aggressive edge. The word "slammin'" seems most appropriate to describe the sound.
    My bass is navy blue, they don't make that color anymore. Here's a pic of the 'Fish next to my Curbow.

5. I am also the proud owner of a blue Rumblefish. Unlike Dave's, mine has the XL option (sadly, no longer made) which is a series/parallel/single coil mini toggle switch. That allows more variation in tone...the series setting is like having 1 big humbucler, the parallel setting is the classic Jazz Bass sound and the single coils allows for a nasally Jacoseque tone. If you go to my band's website and go to the merchandise area, there are some cuts from our CD on which I play the 'fish. I use the series setting about 90% of the time for that big thump. You can find Reverends on e-bay pretty reasonably priced and I'd have no qualms about ordering another sight unseen (I bought mine used, shipped, with a gigbag for $360 off harmony-central's want ads).