Need Help Picking New Rig (boy am I confused)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jefft54, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Boy do I need help picking a new amp setup. After doing numerous searches and research here, I'm more confused than when I began.

I started learning the bass about 9 months ago (after tickling the ivories for many years) and now that I'm satisfied as to my commitment to learn a new instrument, I've upgraded my bass. I currently play a Fender Geddy and am expecting a delivery today of a new Fender MIA P-bass with a G&L L-2500 on order. My current amp is a Behringer 1200 combo which I don't think is worthy any longer of my new instruments.

At first I figured I would order another combo and narrowed my choices to the Fender 250/210, Ashdown Mag C115T 300, or the Eden CXC110 (used). After doing searches on the above, it became apparent that the majority of TBers recommend seperate components rather than combos. So I did more research and narrowed the possibilities to the GK Backline 600, Ashdown MAG 300, or Hartke HA2500 amps and Ashdown MAG115 deep, Hartke 115BXL, or SWR WorkingPro 1X15 (moneywise, I prefer to start with only 1 cab).

I have read the pros and cons of both combos and seperates and am really having a hard time deciding which way to go. While my piano is used in classic rock with some jazz clubbing, the bass, at this point, would be used for small jazz trios/quints, acoustic sets, and home rehearsals. However, I am looking ahead to the possibility of using it in a classic rock/covers environment, but thats a long way off, competence wise.

What is the opinion of the combos I listed as well as the seperates? At the moment, I know the combos would be fine but would really like to hear opinions of my choices. I don't want to start another "pro's and con's of combos" thread but would really appreciate feedback on the merits of my combo choices and seperates choices.
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I think you'd be much happier getting a bit of a higher quality used combo, or head/cabinet. The models you mentioned are all
    the "low end" models of the respective amp companies. I use a GK backline cabinet for practice at home, but I don't think I'd use one to gig. I've tried out the SWR "working" stuff, and have been less than impressed. The Chinese Ashdowns also have recieved some very mixed reviews. IMHO, almost all the Hartke stuff is garbage.

Check the TB classifieds. They are usually good used deals to be had. Something like an Eden WT400 with a 210 XLT would be great. Consider a GK 1001RBII or a 700RBII. Great amps that can be had for a great price brand new. Ad a standard GK 210 bottom there, and you'd be in business. Even though I find them underpowered for my uses, Musicians Fiend is blowing out Ampeg B2R heads for something like $399. That would also be a great lower volume choice. Ad a nice 210 or 212 used cab, and that would be a great rig.

Your choices are pretty limitless, but I've never known anyone to be sorry they spent just a bit more for a higher quality piece.
  3. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Ashdown head/SWR cab is a good combination in my experience, and probably quite good for jazz. A 1x15 will probably suit your volume needs for a while. Unless you have GAS issues like the rest of us, it is probably powerful enough for your future needs. I havent tried the Backline 600 but from what I've gathered it might be the worst of the choices.

Another option is to pick up a mid/upper-mid range combo that has the option of adding on another cab. The head/cab combo is a good idea, but you might end up replacing both parts anyway (recently sold my MAG300 and got a Mesa Bass 400, and am slowly upgrading cabs next). The real GK has some great 2x10 combos with great heads in them that might suit your needs now, and also outputs for an extension cab for later. Ampeg has some nice sounding 1x15 combos too, in a similar price range.

I dont know what everyone else thinks, but you probably wont need a monster stack/fridge/80lb amp unless you plan on heading in the direction of seriously loud rock and the challenge of cutting through tube-driven guitar stacks.
  4. Cheezewiz,
    Your suggestions are well taken. If money were not an issue, the Eden would be my choice. However, I was trying to keep the cost down somewhat after spending chuncks on bassess, but I could hold on to the Behringer a while longer if needed. I've also been looking into used, just a little more apprehensive buying used amps. I'll probably cross Hartke off the list and look into the higher line GK's. What do you think about a single 15 cab vs a 2X10?
  5. You mean you can't tell I have GAS issues all the time. I am still somewhat undecided as to whether it is better to start with a 15 or 2X10. The former great for the classic rock but the latter better for jazz.

Thats available in the combos I've looked at. That's one of the reasons I'm interested in the Eden. I only worry that its single 10 will not have to bottom end I'm looking for with the Pbass.
  6. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002

My personal choice in a standalone with a fairly small size would be a 2X12. You get the thump of a single 15, and maintain some of the punch of a 2X10.
  7. Yea, I read some of your other posts recommending the same. I've seen the Avatar 212. I know a 15 will give me the "traditional" bass sound, but is it too undefined on the upper frets to be heard cleanly and that's where the 12's differ?
  8. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have been very happy with my 1X12 Bergantino and Eden WT-550 head. I play small to medium clubs, outside, jazz, big band, pop/rock, upright and electric 5 string. It handles is all. 300 watts @ 8 ohms. Loud and full.
  9. mwig

Aug 6, 2005
    fresno, ca
    I currently use a 210 combo (SWR workingmans) at 400 watts at 4ohms + a 115 underneath. This works for most clubs. If I need more I'll use the house. Many times the 210 is plenty especially if the gig is small. I'm impressed that you have only been playing for 9 months and you already feel comfortable playing Jazz. It took me a lot longer to learn the fretboard to play a good walking line. Carvin has a new 212 neo combo for about 700 bucks which is cheap and it apparently sounds pretty solid. Neo speakers have a better low freq response so this might be all you would need.
  10. Thanks, but it's not so impressive. I've played keyboards and guitar including jazz, rock, and classical for a long time (I'm one of the old guys here) and was classically trained in voice so I have a fairly solid background in music theory/stucture.
  11. I had the same dilemma and I did quite a lot of testing and I ended up with Eden combo cxc-110 - and I'm very happy with the sound and size - low-B is not a problem. On the other hand I was limited to the brands which were available in Europe.
  12. Have you ever used it with an external cab? Is it able to give you a good traditional thump? I'm glad to hear about the B as I have a G&L 5 on order.
  13. Unfortunately I haven't used one so far but a lot of people on this forum as well as on Eden forum are using external cab and they are ,according to their posts, very satisfied with the setup.
  14. strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    My vote would be a used SWR Super Redhead.