1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help picking out a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sonic_Death, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Hey guys. Well i've been searching over for year now on a third bass to buy, and i'm having problems committing to anything. I currently have a 68' Fender Telecaster and ESP B-304, but the tele I wouldn't risk hurting and the esp is not cutting it. I would like a 4 string fretted, 24 frets, I like neck through's but bolt on is good, preferrably passive pickups but doesnt matter as much if I like them, active 3 band eq, 34" scale.

I have been to guitar center and sam ash, but im a bit pressed for money at this time. I'm looking to spend at max $600. I have tried an Ibanez EDB-600, Epiphone Thunderbird IV, Dean edge Q4, Spector NS2000 Q4 and am looking at a lot at used things on ebay. These are all okay, but I just didn't feel comfortable enough buying them. I play a lot of various things like motown, jazz, funk but also classic rock and metal. I like very heavy lows and defined highs. I like to slap and tap, I play with my fingers and strum a lot, I just don't like to be limited. Im really not as picky as I may sound, I just want a bass that I know will suit my needs and will be reliable. Thank you for any comments, because im bugging out looking.

2. Sounds like you're looking for a nice used Fender Jazz. Jazzes can pretty much do it all.

With that said there's a sweet Ibanez ATK 305 ( 5 stringer) for sale on e-bay. These things are renowned slap monsters, but I doubt they'll provide the other tonal things you require.

(That's precisely why CaracasBass bought himself a Mike Dirnt P-Bass)