1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Help Picking Out A Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Warwick209, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Warwick209

Warwick209

Mar 1, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Bass Cabinets
    Firstly, I am obtaining an Accugroove El Whappo and I am having a lot of trouble picking out, a head, and then on top of that, the question of maybe needing a Pre Amp. I currently have a my work horse rig of Hartke 4 x 10, and the HA 350 Head. I finally have acrued enough money to purchase a professional model head. I play mainly rock, but I am a very diverse musician. I play jazz quite frequently, and on top of that, I also play funk, and as well, I play at a church. I want that has a deep rumble, but with clarity. I need a sound that fits rock, but with a few setting changes, I can use the rig for either my bass guitar or upright in a jazz setting. I will probably need about 800 watts at 4 ohms. But otherwise, I am confused about what to get. I've been looking at the PLX 1804 by QSC, the Titan V12 by Mesa Boogie, of course the Ampeg SVT 4 PRO, numerous David Eden products, and Genz Benz. And then, on top of that, why would one need a preamp?

Thanks,
    Chad

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You don't need a preamp if you buy a bass head, like the ones you've mentioned. And, of those, I would go with the Titan V12, but that's because I'm a Mesa whore.

3. Warwick209

Warwick209

Mar 1, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Bass Cabinets
    cool, i've looked at the specs, but what makes the mesa head better than the others?