1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Help Picking Out Correct 6550's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jeffgnr90, Jan 2, 2016.

1. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    A while back i had a pair of tubes fail on me, so I went through amazon and replaced the pair with these..

Amazon.com: Groove Tubes GT-6550-RD-R10 Duet Matched Power Tubes: Musical Instruments

I now suspect that the remaining 4 tubes are on their way out, and i'm looking to purchase a quartet or maybe a sextet through tubestore or amazon. I saw a quartet of these on Amazon and I'm wondering if these will be a good match for the other 2 tubes i replaced earlier, or if I should just bite the bullet and purchase a sextet from tubestore.

http://www.amazon.com/Groove-Tubes-...&ie=UTF8&qid=1451790804&sr=1-15&keywords=6550

Also, my amp has an autobias.

Any insight into this?

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

If the pics are correct it is the Russian 6550 (likely a Sovtek of some model) Groove Tubes has rebranded. Ask for the "High" as your previous pair was a #10 matching number (GT's numbering system). Or you can order a sextet from someone like 6550WE, Sovtek.

jeffgnr90 likes this.
  3. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    awesome, thanks for the quick reply bstring. What's the difference between 6550-RD and 6550-R? is that just rebranding as you said?

4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Yes Groove Tubes is and has always been a re-brander. The R after the tube model (6550) is the country of origin. R is Russian, C is China, S is Slovak. The "D" may have just been Russian Duet for ordering.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    jeffgnr90 likes this.
  5. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    aha!

6. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I would suggest getting a set of 6550 from T&C Tubes, they sell the Sovtek brand and tthey will test, match & burn in, the tubes at the voltages the amp runs at, here's a link tctubes.com vintage vacuum tubes

jeffgnr90 likes this.
  7. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    I'll definitely check them out, thanks!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021