1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help picking out my next bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Q man123, Oct 3, 2009.

1. I won some money. Just over $1000 actually. Well I;m spending it on a bass. I'm not sure what to get. But I'm looking for something that's extended range. Preferably a 6 string. Suggestions?

2. bobknowsbass

bobknowsbass

Jul 27, 2009
    Monrovia, CA
    Congrats! Ibanez Prestige 6 string (especially used) is within that price range and it's a fantastic instrument! Used MTD or Ken Smith basses are also quite accessible for you.

3. I'm not a huge Ibanez person myself. Thing is, up here, you really on get the main brands, Ibanez, ESP/LTD, Fender, Jackson, Yamaha, the occasional Spector, so an MTD or Ken Smith would be quite hard to come by.

4. I've actually been thinking about getting the Mike Kroeger Spector, and a wireless system or real EMGs. Not sure because its a 5. Or a Conklin GT7.

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Conklins are great basses.

Yamahas, Ibanez, and Ken Smith BSRBs can be had in the price range, for sure.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    If those are pretty much the only options you have then a Yamaha TRB would be a good choice. They are well built, have good playability, and have pretty decent tone.

I've played some ESP/LTD's here and they also seemed well built and had good playability but, I didn't care for their tone that much.

I know you said you're not really an Ibanez person but have you tried the TRB 6ers or just the SR series? The TRB is a completely different animal than the SR's.

A used Peavey Cirrus should also be in your price range and would be an excellent choice if you can find one. Since I already have a bass, I'd actually try and hold off and wait it out a while to see if I could find one of those before going with the Yamaha/ESP/Ibanez etc. YMMV on that one though.

7. Bump.

8. Bump. Anyone have advice?