Need help picking the right string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Discgraham, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Hey all. I just joined a new band, and I'm actually sort of taking the part of guitar, only on Bass. It's really interesting, but it sounds great. It's a Rock/Hard rock band, and I've been doing a lot of fast picking power chords as well as some more precise picking, much like a guitar player. It's all with a pick, by the way, and most of it is very fast paced with hard strumming.

Anyways, I've always been a more flowing fingerstyle kind of player, so I've mostly been using flat wounds, but I've got no idea where to start when it comes to picking suitable strings for this kind of music. The strings mainly need to growl a bit, cut through a lot, and be durrable.

Any suggestions?
  2. Come on no one out there plays rock with a pick? Help me out!

3. Ok 19 people looked at this and apparently none of them play bass. Please help me!

4. I use GHS boomers heavey guage .115 for the E. what tuning does the band play because unless you going to do anything lower that drop D I would sugest just a .110 for your E, But I like the extra tension cause my right hand tends to dive really deep and it keep me from getting some weird noises. and their only like 20 bucks a set at GC that is if they have them in stock.

thought I would try to help
  5. Thanks a lot. I'll look into them. We play mostly standard tuning.