Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help planning Bi-amped Pre/Power rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkmuffin, Sep 4, 2004.

1. funkmuffin

funkmuffin

Aug 18, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    OK -- I really like the bi-amp concept, and want to have the flexibility in my new rig. So I need to locate a bass-friendly cross-over unit.

Anybody know of one?

Would then use a stereo power amp to send the hi and low programs through their own cabs.

Anybody run a setup like this?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well here's the deal
    bi amping is a great idea for PA
    it kind of got in vouge during the 1980's for bass and a number of companies offered heads and preamps with crossovers. I spoke to a good number of them on the phone (swr being one of the more notable ones) and most of them said they offered the feature because people wanted it, but that most of the manufacturers actually preferred the sound of their speakers run full range (e.g. a 1x15 and a 2x10) due to the different tonal qualities of the speakers complimenting each other. As an experiment i suggest you go try out a head or preamp that has a crossover but just run a 2x10 from the high end of the crossover by itself. See how anemic and quiet it sounds? Then try the same cabinet run full range. Then try running the unit biamped with a 2x10 and 1x15, then run both full range and compare the sound.
    I'm not saying biamping isnt a good idea, just that in my opinion, you get a much better sound and more bang for the buck running cabinets full range. If you must bi amp, a lot of preamps and heads have built in crossovers that are quite good. Alembic, eden, swr, and aguilar come to mind.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Just about any xover will work fine. If you don't get one that's built into the preamp or head like IvanMike mentioned, buy a PA type one that has the features you want. Some of them will have a lot more features than you need -- like you don't need a stereo xover and you don't need tri-amp capability.

Yes, you would use it with a stereo power amp.

I run a setup like this, and I know it is out of vogue, and I know there are lots of good full-range cabs out there now, but I'm loving the lows I get. I use a subharmonic synth for lowlows, and a full range cab would not handle them well.

4. HannibalSpector

HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Australia
    Another possible alternative is to use a second preamp and adjust the tones to suit each frequency spectrum.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I would call that a stereo rig, not a bi-amp rig. Bi-amping requires a xover to split the highs from the lows.

6. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    The GK 2001RBP (i think) would be a great preamp for this purpose.

7. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I use a Roll crossover for my biamp rig:
    http://www.rolls.com/new/sx21.html

The crossover frequency can be set as low as 50Hz - very helpful if using a 4x10 for your highs/mids (some 4x10s drop off in the 50hz-60hz range) and a larger driver(s) for your lows (such as a 1x18 or a 2x15). I usually set my crossover point around 75hz - that cuts the mud out of the 1x18 I use.
    Biamping typically gives you a "cleaner" sound than running a cabinet full range - because the cabinet producing the mids/highs does not have to strain to produce the lowest frequencies.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the alembic pre offers you another alternative -
    it has 3 outputs: full range, highs, and lows
    in the past i have used this function to run a 2x10 full range and a 1x15 with the lows to augment the bottom end
    i've also dont the opposite and run a 15 full range and a 12 with the crossover set at the lowest point so the 12 got everything but the lowest lows - this resulted in a very aggressive tone
    i've also used my alembic superfilter with one channel set up with a high pass filter to the 12 and a low pass filter to the 15, both of which were mixed with the full range signal (the superfilter lets you do that). this wasnt a true bi amped situation, but it let me send very different signals to the 2 cabs to take advantage of their different voicings
    alembic rules :cool:

9. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Only marginally related, but I've been kicking around the idea of a clean/dirty bi-amp system using the IOD clean->tweets, dirty-> no tweets so I can have the best of both through My Bag End Q10B (coax to be added) and forthcoming D10BX. No crossover required, just a little rewiring of the speakons.

that superfilter is some kind of weird funky. I've only scratched the surface of that thing.

10. The Rane MX22 will do the job all the way. Very high quality, fully adjustable. I own two of them.

Lowest crossover point is 100 Hz. if you need something lower, look into the Rane AC22B (not the AC22). The AC22B is more money than the MX series, but offers time delay, and a 70 Hz lowest crossover point.