1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help(please!)on taking care of a Purple heart bass body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexis=bassist, Sep 13, 2008.

1. alexis=bassist

alexis=bassist

Sep 4, 2008
    Hello everyone:smug:

Let me start off with sayin that this is my very 1st post thread!This is all new to me so bear with me.

Ok now let me tell u wut I need help on::help:

I am currently in woodshop at my skool and I am wanitng to build a 6-string fretless bass!My dad wants me to make this bass look very good(but to me feel is more important,but I won't argue).Since you cant make your own neck,I am goin to buy a neck from warmoth.I wanna use purple heart wood for tha bass body(I wanted to use a mahogany body with a purple heart top,but mahogany is too expensive).

Now I have been researchin about purple heart and have discovered that it turns a down brownish color after exposed to air and the sun.I don't want that to happen!!!I want tha beautiful purple color to last!!!I have seen a few basses made out of purple heart and some looked very purple like I want it and some were already brown:meh:

So my question to yall is:

Is there anyway I can prevent tha wood from turnin a dark brown color.Like any finishes or sumthin?I want to use Clear Gloss or Clear Satin to bring out tha natural beauty of the wood(just wanted to let yall know).

Thanx!

-peace:)

2. You've answered your own question, apply an airtight finish to the wood and it won't oxidize. www.reranch.com has some links and info to get you started on finishing.

3. alexis=bassist

alexis=bassist

Sep 4, 2008
    Thank u very much!Its much appreciated!:D

-peace

4. runamuck

runamuck

May 28, 2006
    ojai, california
    Not true.

The effect of sunlight alone will darken the wood and no finish is airtight. Why do people give advice when they really don't know?

I've been making furniture for 30 years and have used purpleheart many times. You can slow down the oxidation by using a finish with UV filters in it but you cannot stop it.

Jim McCarthy

5. alexis=bassist

alexis=bassist

Sep 4, 2008
    do u know how long would it be til it starts turning brownish after u apply tha UV filters?

And thank u for ur help