Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help please?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Composer, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Composer

Composer

Mar 30, 2002
    Ireland
    Hi,
    I'm not a double bass player but I'm composing a 20th century music assignment and I want to use a double bass in it.

I was wondering what the stings are?What notes it can play? What are the range? And anything else ye think I should know about it.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    A better question is: What range can your players handle, in other words what is level of bass player are you writing for? Also, don't expect most bass players to have a low B or C extention or a 5 string bass whith a high C string.

Joe

3. It can play all 12.

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Only 12 is a goal I continue to strive for!

5. The curse of bassists is the composer who has no appreciation of the fingering problems he creates.

6. Composer

Composer

Mar 30, 2002
    Ireland
    Well, it's an assignment for class so I doubt it will ever get played in public but I would like to make it playable...

The idea I have is to keep the db playing pizz as accompainment 2 a flute and piano who are playing chromatically. There's a theme in the flute which I want also to bring into the db near the end. Is there anything I shoudnote when writing this?

7. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    keep in mind that a whole string of fast 32nd notes are hard to play, at least for me. I think that they don't sound so good as well. It is just hard to get the strings to respond fast.

With all this "help" you are getting you should post the music for us to see once it's done. It could even get played.

Joe

8. Composer

Composer

Mar 30, 2002
    Ireland
    Don't have tech at uni 2 post on internet. I have 4min piece 2 do and have written 4 bars so far and it's due tues! I ROCK! I've a lovely theme in flute with db playing sul tasto underneath it in thirds.... Sounds good in my head and piano.... The db starts the piece with descending 4 notes played pizz, then enters piano and flute.... Will stop talking bout it now. Thanks 4 help everyone....