1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help, poweramp - preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wizay, Sep 30, 2008.

1. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Hello!

I have just got myself an Ampeg SVP-CL preamp. And I am in the market of a power amp. I have did much searching, and people complained about low output. Something about output ohms, sensitivity and balanced/unbalanced cable with the ampeg.

If you know about a power amp that does fit the ampeg's speccs, please let me know. Ideally the power amp should push around 500w per side.

If any of you got information about this, please write ! :)

Thank you very much!

2. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    Watts aren't watts aren't watts. It all depends at which frequency those watts are measured. There is also arguably an audible difference between a 'switching power supply' power amp and one that does not. Search 'switching power' and you will stumble upon a thread where cabinet maker Jim Bergantino dukes it out with a representative of Quest audio.

I've had good luck with an old EV 7300. It puts out 600 Watts (measured at 20Hz) when bridged into 8ohms, which is loud as all heck. I bought mine used for about a hundred and fifty US dollars. 300Watts/side at 4ohm, 200Watts/side at 8ohm (all measured at 20Hz).

here is the manual for the Electro Voice 7300.

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Amplifiers/Owners Manual/7300 Amplifier Manual.pdf

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I use a Crown CE1000 power amp.

560 watts x 2 @ 2 ohms
    450 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms
    275 watts x 2 @ 8 ohms
    1,100 watts bridged (mono) @ 4 ohms
    900 watts bridged (mono) @ 8 ohms

There are tons of these workhorse amps around. You should be able to find one used in the $300 price range. The main drawbacks are they are heavy (32+ pounds) and take up 3 rack spaces. But there is no shortage of power when you use one of these!

4. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I had a CE1000 like scottbass and it was a very good poweramp. I also had one of the Crown XTI 1000 and it worked great too. A little more power and 2 rackspaces and only 17 pounds. Although the CE1000 is a lead sled and the XTI 1000 a switching amp I couldn't tell the difference sound and power wise. Both are very good amps. QSC and Carvin also make some great power amps that work great for bass.

5. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Using a QSC PLX2-1804. 900W per side @ 4 ohms minimum. Doesn't bridge, but I can run two 4 ohm cabs and balance them out.

QSC PLX-2402 worked great too, but just a little bit heavier.

dcr

6. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Okey, nice. Everyone here use it with the SVP-cl ?

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I think all you need is a good quality power amp. I can't imagine a line out or balanced out level being that different on your particular pre-amp.

For what is its worth, I like the Crest CA6 and CA9. Very heavy. Very powerful. Not too expensive used.

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That would be more accurately described as a difference between an amp with a defective power supply and one with a good power supply. In either case, the power supply could be switching or conventional. It's just less complicated to design a suitable conventional supply than a switch-mode one.

9. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I use a QSC PLX 1602.

Love the thing. 21 pounds, 1600 Watts into four Ohms, and can be serviced. Do not understimate the "can be serviced" angle.

Take a look at the the voltage specs needed to run an amp to full power, the high quality manufacturers (like QSC, Crest and Crown) publish meaningful specifications. To be safe, derate the SVTII's output by 50%. If there is still enough voltage out of the preamp to run the poweramp to full power, that's no longer an issue.