Need help putting some gear together. Pedals, compressors?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by interule, Sep 27, 2005.

1. interule

Jul 1, 2005
    I play in a metal/hardcore band with a 5-string active and play the low B a LOT as the guitarist are tuned to B as well. Im playing thru a Kustom groove bass 1200 w/2x10 and 1x15.
    Im looking to change my sound a bit. I want more low end, punch, sustain and some 'growl'. I also want to even the overall volume as some notes tend to stand out more than others. WE play very fast and it's hard to keep things even some of the time.
    Since Im running straight into the amp I thought about adding some gear.
    I've searched here and some thing have come to my attention, Sansamp bass driver, Aphex punch factory, bass xciter, dbx compressors (166xl), compulator. I kind of want a gate too to get rid of unwanted noises but I guess this is not as important as getting my sound together first.
    I can't really try any of these out without driving a good distance so Im hoping some people here can give me some Ideas or point me in the direction of some gear I have not mentioned. Or maybe a good setup that has worked for you. Thanks.
    I don't mind buying used and I'd like to stay under 300 if I could.
  2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    My vote goes for a sansamp + an aphex punch factory. You might find the sansamp is all you need though.

I was looking to achieve similar results, playing similar music and found it with a combination of those 2.

I run the punch factory first, it tightens things up especially with down tuning. Then I use the sansamp to shape my tone. It fattens up the tone nicely plus adds alot of mid, low/mid punch and growl. Run that into my amp set flat, and viola. A nice, tight, growly bass tone perfect for metal/hc.
  3. sansamp and BBE Opto Compressor.

I reviewed both the BBE and the Aphex Punch factory. The BBE was much less noisy. Both punched!
  4. xring

Sep 16, 2003
    I just got a BBE Maxcom from Ebay of all places. I haven't had much time to tweek it, but so far it is excellent. Dual channel compressor (same guts as 166 I read), noise gate, and sonic maximizer. I am running both channels through my Ampeg B4r(easy to do) and can use both maximizers - sort of like twice the effect... highly recommended. :D
  5. interule

Jul 1, 2005
    These are great replies thanks guys :bassist: