1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help quick figuring out why my cabinet is not working.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Damani311, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Going to jam with a new group in a few hours, and to my horror when checking all my gear that my Yorkville 15" cab isn't making any noise. I've checked to make sure it's not the amp, guitar, or cables, because I have other working amps and my 410.

It makes no noise....wouldn't think the speaker is blown, or it would at least rattle/fart. I opened it up to see if any wires had come loose, and it's an older cabinet so it's wired fairly simply.

I see:
    2012-03-04125220.

Open it up:
    2012-03-04125228.

And on the inside, the other end of the connection:
    2012-03-04125243.

So all the wires are intact. Cab makes no noise....am at a complete loss on what the problem could be.

2. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    did you try to use the 9V battery test??

3. James Judson

James Judson

Jul 16, 2009
    Do the 9v battery test.

Simply put a 9v battery across the terminals of the transducer. If the voice coil is intact the cone should move.

4. the transducer is in picture three, right?

do i just match the +/- and put each part over the corresponding transducer?

5. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Transducer = driver = speaker

6. ok i meant terminals then, i guess

i tried with two different 9v batteries, not sure if i made the best connection with them but neither worked, as in, nothing happened

7. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    In that case: Speaker = dead.

8. Did you try directly at the speaker? You could have an open on the input PCB or a bad jack (also try the other jack on the input panel).

9. i tried putting the battery right at the base of the wires in the third picture....nothing.

tried the other jack on the input panel

so what does this basically mean, the entire thing is toast and should be scrapped? it uses eminence drivers, would i be worth it to try and replace the speaker?

10. Dis-connect the wires at the speaker (third pic), and try again. You may need a paper clip or piece of wire to "make the connection to one of the speaker's terminals (the part where the wires connect). You MUST have a metal to metal contact. If going direct and you get no sound (click or pop) the speaker is damaged. If it is a good cab then either have the speakers re-coned or replace them.

11. Alright, from what I'm gathering this is a decent but not awesome cabinet....it's made from plywood, what are most high end cabs made from?

12. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Plywood.

13. Plywood! What cab is it?

Never mind I see it is a Yorkville/Traynor cab. Probably worth the effort to get working again. ;)

14. Alright trying to disconnect the wires at the terminal, and they are on so good I feel like I"m going to snap the metal trying to get them off....

Tryed to open it from the front and get the speaker itself out.....and after unscrewing the grill, and all the screws around the speaker itself, it appears that the speaker is somehow glued/siliconed to the opening. With all screws removed I can't make it budge.

15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Pry it out with a couple of screwdrivers and a putty knife. It's sealed into the cab w/weatherstrip to make it airtight.

16. Not unusual for the speaker to "stick" to the sound board (speaker mounted before paint has completely cured). Use a butter knife between the speaker and soundboard to pop it loose. BTW some slip-on connectors have a small tab you have to push in while trying to pull off the connector, it will be on one of the "flat" sides of the connector.

17. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Yep!

One of my sons learned that the hard way while working under the hood of his car.

Another son remembered latch/twist AFTER he'd pulled the wires out of a Speakon while helping tear down the PA.

18. Alright I have pried off the speaker from the enclosure, and also pried off the connectors to the terminal.

For future reference which picture is the correct test connection being made on?

2012-03-04145610.

2012-03-04145620.

19. Either way will work, one drives the cone out and other drives the cone in. If that doesn't happen the speaker is toasted. See if the cone can be gently moved by hand. If not your magnet may have come un-bonded and is pinching the voice coil inside (replace the speaker).

20. It does move gently by hand.

Tried both spots with different batteries and nothing, and since this thing is probably 15 years old, I'm guessing that the speaker is K.I.A.

Now comes the issue of replacement. I was already considering selling this cab and getting a Neodymium 15, so my next question is can I replace this busted speaker with a new eminence Neo15? I've seen in another thread that you CANNOT put neo speakers as replacements in old non-neo cabs, but I've heard that you can as well........