Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help quick!!!!! PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by swamprock76, Feb 16, 2004.

1. swamprock76

swamprock76

Feb 15, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Before reading the following, keep in mind that I until today to exchange any equipment if I have to!!! Thanks.
    =========

Hello,

I think you can help me out. I am a fairly bright guy, but I'm also fairly confused. I am used to combo amps that take care of all this ohm/watt math stuff :)

I now am a proud owner of an Ampeg B2R head http://ampeg.com/products.htm?product=12&catid=14 running to an Eden D212 XLT cab (4 ohm version) http://www.eden-electronics.com/212XLT.html that sounded great in the shop and at the first gig I played with it. The next two shows left me confused. After reading your article I think it may have something to do with the cable from the head to the speakers. I thought nothing had changed in my setup, but the article reminded me that I did change that cable.

My sound went from a tight, full, bass player's dream of a tone to a fluttery fart noise that I am ashamed of. There is some of the good sound in there, but it is covered by a fart. Could it be due to the cable or is something else taunting me? I've tried fooling around with all the settings and got nowhere.

Should I return the Eden and get the best matching Ampeg cab? May a 4x10 setup? Which one is the best match for the B2R?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Take care,
    -E.

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    OK, your head will put out 350 watts into 4 ohms, your cabinet will take 400 watts - shouldn't be an issue! You said it wasn't unitl you changed cable.....can you try yet another cable to see if it goes away?

Another thought is - is/are your bass(es) active? Have you replaced the battery/batteries recently - they can make a distorted farty noise when they're on the way out!

If you can't find anything with this - you might wanna take it back to the store for them to have a look at to see if there is something they can help you with!

Godd luck!

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    What article are you referring to?

Make sure you have a speaker cable, not an instrument cable, connecting head to cab.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A couple of observations, some personal, some from an experienced reliable source...

The B2R is a great sounding head, but it's power-output challenged as we've come to learn. I owned an SVT-350, the tolex covered head version of the B2R and loved the tone but I needed more power.

Recently, I was talking to Ncognito, local bassist (for me) and TB member. Nick is a regular giging bassist and says that he plays well over shows a year. Nick usually uses an Eden D410XLT but wanted to try 12s. He said that years ago, he owned the D212XLT but all it would produce is mush.

Perhaps the Eden just loosened up a bit and your B2R's lack of power is only making it worse...

If you can return the whole rig, it might be a good idea...you can shop around and always rebuy it if you decide that you really liked it better anyway.

5. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    1) Speakers may be blown (overdriven hard enough, that amp could kill those speakers).

2) As previously mentioned, cable could be bad.

3) Back to the store, Batman!!

6. swamprock76

swamprock76

Feb 15, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Between the time I posted the original panic ridden post this morning, I went out and traded it and the Eden D212 XLT cab back in. This was, of course, after testing different cables at home and every combination of Ampeg setups in the store. Then I came home with a SVT-4PRO and a PR-410HLF cab. Damnit to hell this is a sweet setup!!! You get what you pay for.

Thanks again!
    -E.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Glad your problems are now solved! And a new setup to boot!

Enjoy!