1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help raising action on Dean Acoustic Bass!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Damani311, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Got one of those $150 Dean Playmates, action is so low I can't even play the G string at all.

I would actually like to raise all 4 strings up at the bridge, but there is no way to adjust it.

The strings just run through the body of the bass to make a "bridge" there is a small hump that gives it a bit of lift (but not near enough) and I assume I will need to put some sort of riser on this under the strings....what would be best?

Or would just buying and installing an adjustable bridge be the best option?

2. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    Yes, you need to put a shim under the saddle (that small ivory hump), after removing the strings. It may not be as easy as it seems. Remove the strings, remove the saddle, cut a piece of paper that would go under the saddle and put everything back together.

Adjusting saddle height requires a little bit of precision and know-how. If the saddle does not come off easily, do not force it and take the bass to a guitar tech.

3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Before doing this.. check that the frets are level and the neck straight.

4. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    Absolutely. +1

5. questech

questech

Feb 29, 2012
    Hello All :)

I'm a first time poster, thanks for having me!

I have a Dean Fretless Acoustic-Eletric Bass and I love it. But Dean doesn't supply any info, a manual, or a way to get any specifications, so you are kinda on your own if you want to do a setup, etc.

I want to replace my saddle and this thread talks about that very topic, so I thought I would ask for your expertise.

After I take the strings off, should the saddle just pull out (drop in saddle)?

What if it's glued? I can't imagine them gluing it over the pickup, but you never know.

How would a pro remove a glued in saddle?

Also, does anyone know where I could get the setup information, general specs, or a manual for this bass?

Thanks in advance !

AM