1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help reaching certain "tone".

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whorockserock, Oct 2, 2009.

1. whorockserock

whorockserock

Jul 7, 2009
    Hey fellow TB'rs.

I currently have a gk backline 600 head with 2 acoustic b115's. I play a Ibanez BTB406QM. I've been messing around with the eq on both the head and bass but haven't been able to reach a certain tone I am looking for. I play prog-metal, and I'm looking for a fusion, jazzy, thick clean groove sound. In the like of the bassist for Hiromi or Jonah Hellborg ish, but of course still a little unique. Right now I'm at a point where the mids are cutting thru very descently but the lows are lacking, and too "bassy" (if that makes any sense). Anyone have any suggestions on settings, on either the head or the bass, possibly some pedals that would be of help?

Note: I have tried the horns on and off on both the 15's.

:help:

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    try varying your technique, and check out the eq faq in the amps faq sticky

3. whorockserock

whorockserock

Jul 7, 2009
    Thanks for directing me to that awesome resource!

4. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    The quest for the perfect tone can be a very long process that most of us work on for many years. I personally, have gone through more amps and basses than I can remember and every time I think I have it right, my taste change and off I go in another direction.

It may be easier to ask "What is the meaning of life" than it is to ask "How do I get the perfect tone!".

Play through everything you can get your hands on. You will eventually find what works best for you.

5. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I'm betting that you are just wanting more bottom extension. GK does good mids and is super punchy, and to me, a clean, steril, non-bloomy bottom end. You can't EQ it back in. Lot's of bottom octave definition, but not anything near what I hear when i play through a SVT-3 and a 410HLF. GK cuts through the mix well though. HLF extends so much lower. I had an SVT-3pro for a couple of days and to me, at the time, it was looser bass that wasn't as loud, as punchy, or what I was into at the time. The EQ was far more powerful to me though. It actually has two EQs. Everyone says they are apples to oranges. Maybe you got an apple when you want an orange at this present time.
    Wes

6. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    Do you have any youtube clips of the sound you're looking for?

This is a cool clip demonstrating the flexibility of the Phil Jones Bass Buddy. Is your sound close to one of those, that could point you in an EQ direction.

7. whorockserock

whorockserock

Jul 7, 2009
    Thanks guys.

Yes I have some clips to try to portray the idea. I am also aware it might not be fully possible until I can upgrade the rig.

I know they are both different is some ways, but hopefully this will portray the idea.

8. BASSaSuperNova

BASSaSuperNova

Mar 21, 2009
    Damn.......... HIROMI UEHARA "XYZ" how great is that. blowed my mind.

9. Sorry to be less than helpful- you've just created another Hiromi Uehara fan.
    Anyway, basically it seems you are going for the bridge pickup emphasis sort of thing. I suggest turning the neck pup off completely and just EQ the heck out of it. Add a bunch off low end, because the bridge pup doesn't make much, but it cuts like the examples you gave.

10. BASSaSuperNova

BASSaSuperNova

Mar 21, 2009
    Oh, haha i was so amazed i completely missed to give my approach on achieving a similar tone...
    I play the bridge pickup with the neck pickup slightly decreased in volume and boost the frequencies from about 250 - 350 Hz on the semi-parametric. bass is at 1 o' clock and treble is flat.
    But i guess this varies alot with the used gear and more importand the playing style... im sure playing a fodera may help ;) aswell as using a more muted percussive plucking style like rocco prestia.
    my two cents, but im afraid that im not very qualified.

good luck!

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    My computer speakers suck but compared to other stuff that doesn't sound like you're looking for huge deep bottomend, more midbass and low mids with a little burpy sound to it. Favoring the bridge p/u and tweaking knobs that aren't set at deep bass or high treble may help. Again, my speakers suck but those guys would sound good playing a washtub in the barn anyway.

12. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    Finding the right bass tone can be a long time project because rooms change size. Now that I don't move my church rig I was able to get the right tone on my P-bass, but If I use my Albemic in church I have to make all the adjustment all over again. So each bass has it own sound.

Start with a flat setting and work from there. To little bass make your bass sound weak and to much muddy. So take your time and try each tone control until you hear what you what. Remember Take your time....

13. whorockserock

whorockserock

Jul 7, 2009
    Thanks everyone.

Yea she is pretty amazing, makes me want to play more and quit at the same time. So does Jonas lol.

I know its a time consuming process and I have been working on it patiently, and definitely understand that the sound and feel changes per venue. I will definitely try out the ideas posted here, like decreasing the neck pickup (all the way or partially, I'll try both!) and continue to mess with the eq to see what I can get going.

Thanks for all the info.

14. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Also keep in mind where your fingers are. You can pluck in different places for radically different tones - The Hiromi clip sounded like the bassist was playing towards the bridge, as opposed to plucking over the neck pickup or at the end of the neck.
    Experiment, your technique has more to do with pinpointing "Perfect" tone than gear does, IMO. IME, 90% of rigs allow me to get very close to "My" tone without any adjustment to my technique, and the final detail is to find where I need to put my right hand.

15. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Yep, move to the bridge pup. My jazz with big splits gets nice and burpy like that, especially since i put flats on it. Oh yes, pluck far back by the bridge as well..

16. whorockserock

whorockserock

Jul 7, 2009
    Alright, got rehearsal tonight so I will try out some of the recommendations! alright so bridge pup bridge pluck...Ill keep it posted!

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    apart from bridge pickup and plucking by the bridge, a lot of that tone is just plain technique. And lots and lots of practice.

18. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Seems like a good time to post this one again! :cool: