Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help reasoning with a stubborn parent

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lucky Savage, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Lucky Savage

Lucky Savage

Oct 29, 2004
    Hamden, CT
    For the past 7 months or so (I have been playing for 16), I've been stuck with a crappy Johnson P-Bass knockoff. It was a huge step up from my previous Rogue, but it will be no good to be if I want to take my playing seriously. My amp gets the perfect tone out of any other bass, but the Johnson is hardly versatile at all. The knobs keep falling off, the paint chips and dents with little effort, and it is a very bad bass overall.

Christmas is just around the corner, and I decided this would be the perfect time to get a new bass. I settled on a Fender Standard Jazz Bass, which I have played many times, and it is a great bang for the buck. I know this ultra versatile, super strong guitar will help my playing much more than my current Squier-quality bass.

The only problem is my mother. She sees no difference in either of the two basses. She says she would rather see me get a 5 or 6 string than waste money of another 4 string, but I honestly don't want extended range at the moment. I have tried to reason with her that the Johnson and the Fender are on almost opposite ends of the spectrum, with only a couple hundred dollars difference. Some of her exact words were "They're the exact same thing, you're only paying for the name brand," "They both have 4 strings, they don't do anything different," "The only difference is the color, and a rip-off price," etc. etc. etc.

I have tried doing some reasearch (comparing wood/electronic qualities, construction, etc. and consumer reviews) to convince her that I should get the Fender. It seems almost ludicrous that my mother, who wants only to see me improve my bass playing, would deny me the one and only bass I want right now. I know there are some experienced guys (and girls) here, and if any of you could help me find ways to convince my mother that one bass is better than the other, I would really appreciate it. :)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Moms dont get it sometime. Try to explain to your dad and get him to reason with her , or something.

3. Lucky Savage

Lucky Savage

Oct 29, 2004
    Hamden, CT
    I would, except my mom knows absolutely nothing about playing an instrument, and my dad is just as clueless. Besides, I don't have that good of a relationship with him, and it's tough to try and talk to him abut anything important.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Thats the way to go. It seems she's not adverse to you getting a new bass per se, she just needs to be convinced that this new bass will help you become a better played, because you can get more out of a better bass. Or something.

5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Nothing stunts your growth like a Johnson.... (Although the neck on my 5 was pretty dman solid...but i think the stripe is coming unglued now...good I got rid of it.)

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Get her to :D read these posts...

7. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Get her to buy you a standard Jazz V.

That way you can both be happy. :rolleyes:

Someone has to give a little here. ;)

8. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I good plank definitely makes a difference in your ability/desire to practice... though I am a bit jealous, my folks didn't want me to play at all! Nor push me into extended range instruments.. I think they were hoping it was a phase that would pass! ;)

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If your mother will spring for a 5 or 6, take it! If you are serious, you will work with what you get. When you can buy one yourself, get exactly what you want. Get a nice budget 5 like a Tribute or maybe a Lakland 55-01.

10. you probably will want a 5 in just a matter of time. The MIM jazz is better than the Squire, but for whatever reason, she thinks you'll wanna dump that and get a 5.

At least she is talking about basses. Be glad your not getting sweaters or something lame like that.

11. Lucky Savage

Lucky Savage

Oct 29, 2004
    Hamden, CT
    The problem is, I've had my eye on the Jazz for a while. But until then, I had a new favorite bass every other day. If I changed my mind yet again, she'd be even less likely to get me the bass.

Another problem is that I'm not too fond of the low B on a fiver. I would go for the B and C on a sixer, but if I had to choose one, the high end would come first. Would I be able to get a good quality budget fiver that comes with an EADGC nut?

12. Get your mom to drive you to the music store and plug-in a Fender Jazz. Show her the difference. Play something fast with a lot of finger movements. Make sure its a nice amp with great tone. Maybe, maybe she'll think about it. If that still doesn't work go with the 5-string. Your lucky she'll even get you that. My parents make me pay for all my music stuff. They do that to try to discourage me from becoming a musician because they think its a horrible job with no money.

13. saxybill1

saxybill1 Attorney

Nov 9, 2004
    Virginia
    I would suggest sticking to your guns. For now, you choose to stay with a 4 string, which is perfectly acceptable. There are many differences between brands of instruments and it is difficult to explain to the layman those differences. The quality of a BMW surely outways the aspects of a ford focus. Although they both do the very same thing, 4 tires, battery, engine and use gas; however, the differences between the two makes is quite enormous. This is what your mother needs to understand. A better 4 string may encourage you to practice more, does sound better and may last you for years and years. You may never go to a 5 or 6 string, which should not be considered as an elevation of talent or success. There are many 4 string players that have tried 5 string and just are not happy with the transition. Doesn't make them any less of a player, just not their cup of tea. You might try taking your mom to the music shop and show and let her hear the differences, although this tactic may bite you in the a__.
    It appears to me that reasoning and convincing arguments need to be contrived. Bring her to the forum, let her review some of the wisdom expressed.
    I hope this helps and I'm interested in how it works out for you.

Bill (Dad of a 21 year old)

14. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Go find a nice expensive 5 or 6 and tell her, "O.k., here is what I want!" Convince her to let you buy it. Buy it. If you still want the jazz, return it and get the jazz when she is not looking.

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i would get a five

16. She can go to Sam's Club and get you a bass there. She can get you any bass you want at Sams, so long as it is the Copely 5. You'll grow into it.

I was in college when I swicthed to a five. Although I wasn't a music major, my grades improved.

Ergo, you need to decide what is more important:

your future

or a marginally improved 4.

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    sell the bass you got to make funds for the fender. if you want a four, get a four. i've played 4 and 5 and right now i just have a four. don't let anyone tell you that a four is somehow inferior to a 5. I'd rather have a good four than an ok five any day of the week. Also, play a lot of fenders to make sure you get a good one, they can vary considerably in quality. tell mom i said it's ok :p

oh for crying out loud, i grew up in hamden and go there all the time, pm me and i'll twist your mom's arm for ya.

18. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Ivanmike took the words from me.Sell the johnson and get funds from your parents if they wont buy it for you. I would atleast sit and play a 5 string for some time if you can get one go with it.And does it have to be a new one. you could get a used one for chep around here. Or if all else fails Maybe get an sx and drop some new pickups in it? just a suggestion

19. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    1) Grammar fixed.

2) What a reductive standpoint to take. It is simply ludicrous to suggest that Lucky Savage will only have a future in bass playing if he moves onto a five string.

20. Get a job, save money, and buy a new bass yourself.