Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help redoing my bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Viper, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Viper

Viper Guest

Jun 2, 2004
    Williamsport PA0
    I've decided that My Fender Jazz bass needs repainted and such, but I am 16 and have never done this before. My dad had this bass ever since i was a small child and it's seen many bars and been smoke stained basically so it's got this off whitish yellow color now, and also has all it's marks and such so I just wanna redo it

anyways my question is if I'm gonna strip down the paint what kind of paint should i use? just normal glossy spray paint with many layers?

thanks in advance

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What model and year is this thing? I would keep it the way it is! Beat up fenders look cool!

Seriously! An aged white fender would be awesome. Post some pics!

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    STEP AWAY FROM THAT BASS!!!!

My advice is to save and get a new one if you want new.... That bass has your old man's mojo all over it!!!! Leave it be and add your own to it as well.

(fender white fads yellow... it's how it should be)

4. Viper

Viper Guest

Jun 2, 2004
    Williamsport PA0
    never looked at it that way... ok I'll keep it like that thanks guys

well... lemme think ... I'm 16 he bought it like right after I was born sooo like an 88 or an 89. I'll try and post a pic soon

5. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    You would be killing that bass if you refinished it. My buddy's first guitar has no finish left on it at all. It looks terrible on first glance but the coolness factor is just through the roof. Refinishing is not an option.