Need help sanding/refining body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ryan Donahue, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Hey guys, I have a squire p-bass that I am messing around with. When I got it, it was painted white. The neck wound up breaking on it and I got another bass so this one has just been sitting in the garage. I have an old neck that I have already defretted and came out quite well. I would like to do this bass in natural. I have already stripped off the paint but it still has a hard clearcoat on it. I decided to try to take it all the way down to the bare wood and seal it myself but it's seeming to be a lot harder than I thought. I've been sanding and sanding for a while now and only barely is the bare wood coming through the clear coat. Is there any solution or chemical I can use to make this a lot easier or am I just missing something?

2. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Inactive

May 26, 2005
    What are you sanding it with?

3. Right now I'm just using 80 and 100 grit sandpaper and a lot of elbow grease.

4. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Inactive

May 26, 2005
    I dud two basses, and I used a SMALL palm sander it worked great for me. It didn't eat up the wood or anything. After I was done with that I used I think 200 grit and sand it smooth, and then you should be good.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021