1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help selecting a new Bartolini P/Up

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Subculture13, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I have a MIM Fender Jazz 5 string that currently has Bartolini J's in it (the "Bassier" model). I have decided to swap out the bridge pickup in favour of a Musicman style Pickup, again, Bartolini. I don't need advice on the routing, or wiring or any of that, I am confident in my aabilities to handle all that, I am only after advice on tone. I am often using different amps, depending on the size of the gig, rehersal or practising at home. I am debating whether to replace the pickup with another "Bass" model, or one of the "Bright" models. The main thing I do not like about my current sound is that there is a definite lack of mid range prescence, it's all bass with some highs. Regardless of which amp I use (or even running a Bass Pod in as a preamp for the tone shaping) I can't ever get any good mid range out of it. Would going with the "Bright" MM pickup be a good counter to balance out my tone? I'll be leaving the neck position pickup the way it is, at least for the time being, I may change it down the road, but that isn't the plan at this point. If anyone has had experience with both these pickups and can let me know if I am on the right path or not, it would be great.