Need help selecting a new Bartolini P/Up

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Subculture13, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I have a MIM Fender Jazz 5 string that currently has Bartolini J's in it (the "Bassier" model). I have decided to swap out the bridge pickup in favour of a Musicman style Pickup, again, Bartolini. I don't need advice on the routing, or wiring or any of that, I am confident in my aabilities to handle all that, I am only after advice on tone. I am often using different amps, depending on the size of the gig, rehersal or practising at home. I am debating whether to replace the pickup with another "Bass" model, or one of the "Bright" models. The main thing I do not like about my current sound is that there is a definite lack of mid range prescence, it's all bass with some highs. Regardless of which amp I use (or even running a Bass Pod in as a preamp for the tone shaping) I can't ever get any good mid range out of it. Would going with the "Bright" MM pickup be a good counter to balance out my tone? I'll be leaving the neck position pickup the way it is, at least for the time being, I may change it down the road, but that isn't the plan at this point. If anyone has had experience with both these pickups and can let me know if I am on the right path or not, it would be great.