Need help selecting electronics...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Brendan, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm pricing out my Warmoth bass I intend to get in distant future (after a new bass rig...sigh...) and am fine tuning the specs, when I came upon the trouble of selecting the brand of pickups. I am looking at a Bridge MM and and a neck Jazz pup configuration (5-string) and was looking for a good p/u that offers good lows and mids, and it's going to be active electronics, possibly active/passive, though more likely just active. I don't really care for highs that much, and lows more important than mids by just a smidge.

So what would you recomend? If it matters at all, I'm using the Bartolini HR- 5.3 (or HR-5.3+A/P)control configuration and now...the pickup problem. Can you think of any company, or combination of companies would work well for this setup?

No rush...this won't happen till around...oh, wait, I don't wanna think about that, it's depressing...anyway, any help would be apprieciated.
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I would go with the Bartolini Pickups too.
    The HR5.3AP is a great Harness. Did you get the NTMB-9 or NTMB-18?
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Bartolinis or possibly Duncan Basslines.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think I'm gonna get the NTMB-18. Any distinct advantages over the NTMB-9?

And, I'm looking to have a 3 way on that MM pup...does Bart make a series coil pup? If not...who does? I'm really looking for that 3-way style MM pickup, though I can live without it, I'd like to have it...
  5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The 18 Volt preamp has better tone with some pickups, and is less prone to clipping.

The Bartolini Musicman pickup can be ordered in a Triple coil design that allows you to wire it Series/Parallel/Single coil. And the good thing is that the 3rd coil is a dummy coil,so when you select the single coil mode, it will be HUM FREE.

Go with Bartolini!
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Even though i like Bartolini, their MM pickups (and their J, for that matter) were always a bit dry for my tastes. Just DONT go with the quad coil! Yick!

I say if you go MM+J, definitely go with the Duncans, with a Duncan 18 V.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Great...dow I gotta think about Duncan vs. Barts...well...shoot...I dunno, Might have to stick with the Barts. Angus, could you characterize the Duncan sound? Deep? Bitey? What? I'm open to options here....
  8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  9. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Barts or Kent Armstrong would be nice.