Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEED HELP. serious. please help fast! (fender).

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    OK so I got this beautiful new fender american jazz bass. the only thing is the E string just sounds flat to me, very hard to notice, i hear it and it drives me NUTS! I've had set ups done, new strings, yada yada yada, and nothing helps. i paid about 1300 for it new.

I have a friend at a guitar shop that has a used fender jaco style bass (looks like a Jaco with frets and no scuff marks). It's fretted and you have to take the neck off to make adjustments. the price tag says 1,400. he will trade me straight up.

The Jaco bass's head says: Fender, Jazz Bass, Trade Mark, Electric Bass. PAT 2,573,254 2,960,900 2,968,2044 DES187,001

?????

is this a good trade?

PLEASE HELP

I've never seen this kind off bass

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Why does everyone keep saying you have to take off the neck to adjust the truss? What about the pickguard people? You don't think it's grounds for stripped screwholes, neck movement & finish cracking down the road? :scowl:

3. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    jaco basses don't have pickguards. back to subject i need to know by 7 am tomorrow.

4. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Oh, right, Jaco.... sorry. :scowl: The body hides the slot on those? Did not know that. So MIA jazzes have higher set necks that Jaco-esque's?

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

All vintage Fenders and new Fenders that are styled after a vintage model require removal of the neck to adjust the truss rod. This includes the reissue basses, the Jaco basses and the Geddy Lee model.

6. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    can i track down the history of that bass with those numbers?

7. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    how much would that jaco cost new? take away the jaco name and is it anything special?

8. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    please

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'd hit it. You paid $1,300 new for a US standard jazz bass? Huge rip, I can get one for $1300 CAD with a bit of negotiation.

That said, a like new US jazz bass with a dirty E for a used Jaco would be an awesome trade, IMO. A lot of people really, really like these basses, but a lot are afraid to own one 'cause they don't want to look like Jaco-copies. The relics are too expensive for what they are, but the regular Jacos are pretty sweet pieces of bass.

10. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'd say this is a good trade, I own the fretless Jaco and it plays as good if not better than any American jazz (especially one with a bad E string), unless the Jaco has some sorta problem you don't know of.

11. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Do it! Jaco basses are the some of the few jazzes I like, maybe the ONLY Fender J that I like. But of course, thats my personal preference.

12. fifthorange

fifthorange

Mar 13, 2004
    GET THE JACO! or you can trade in your american for an american deluxe!

13. That's my only qualm about my Geddy.

They ketpt the poor truss rod location as is.

At least on the MM sig, they have the bullet truss rod.