Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help slapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mattchew172, Jul 10, 2001.

1. mattchew172

mattchew172

Jun 29, 2001
    i am really frustrated cause i can't get my slap technique down........ can anyone help me..... i know slap is not everything but i just want to add some new tricks.. thanx

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think a search, (click at top of any TalkBass page), for slapping will lead you to tons of what has been repeated many times here about slapping.

Words are very hard to capture the motion and the feel. Plus, what works for another person may not be what works for you. Technique is a very individualized aspect of music. I'm not trying to discourage others from offering their help, but there is a lot of info with a search.

It seemed to come to me naturally. I guess because I had been playing for years before Larry Graham ever showed up. Nonetheless, Alex Sklarveski's video "The Slap Bass Program" helped me beyond what I could do on my own.

He takes a very systematic approach where, for the first section of the video, you aren't even fretting notes. It's all about getting the proper wrist motion first, like turning a door knob.

It's not cheap, (get it as a gift?), but those rare, decent, instructional videos usually cost more than just films of some bass gods shredding.

3. years back i was interested in the same thing and i bought a Stu Hamm video. i think it was after his 'radio free albemuth' recording. that's what got me going in the right direction. he did everything really slow, and then sped it up..

4. mattchew172

mattchew172

Jun 29, 2001
    where can u get this stu hamm video???????????

5. Slap Bass, Slap Face.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    :rolleyes:

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This is constructive.

Ironic, too, considering that Flea is listed as your greatest musical influence.

8. go buy the slap bass program, people can write all they want on here about slapping but it is something you have to see and hear, the video is expensive ($50) but you will watch it a hundred times or more (I did anyway) you will develope very slowy and in about 2 months you will still be trying stuff from the video thinking how much you suck at slapping and your friend will hear it and say wow play that again that was really fu***** awesome, you will then realize that you don't suck and that you are getting good. anyways that's my two cent's good luck

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

newbie - Couldn't have said it better myself.

Sklarveski doesn't try to impress you with monster chops at all. He just tries to teach you.

I had the same experience, thinking, "Man, I'm so inadequate :rolleyes: " And a guitarist I gigged with but hadn't played with in a while said, "When did you pick all of this stuff up?! :eek: " (and I know I ain't squat).

Mine was $42 from www.elderly.com

10. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Why do you always use people "Influences & teachers" against them???

;)

/lovebown

11. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    As much as possible, I find it helps keep them honest.

12. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Just because he likes Flea doesent mean he cares for his slapping!

I mean , I like Marcus Miller but I hate his synth / sampled stuff on his records ... he's a killer live though..

/lovebown

13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Maybe Flea is his main musical influence in that he does whatever the exact opposite of what Flea would do is.:D

14. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Never thought of that.....thanks, Bliss.

Either way, the comment was pointless, given the original poster was looking for help slapping. He wasn't looking for opinions about slapping.

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Oh I know, I'm just being an ass.:D I agree, it was a pointless comment.

16. Pacman - No, twas a perfectly cool comment!

I was being Ironic... I listening love slap bass. For slap, Larry Graham RULES, without exception.

I still love to play slap (even tho I'm no good at it!)... my slap style is kinda like Flea's, but crap! I think you have to be ****-hot at slap before you can really do it... otherwise it sounds lame.

The guitarist in my band was doing a gig with his other band up north UK somehwere and while the bass player was warming up on stage (doing a little bit of slap) this big guy in the audience piped up "SLAP BASS, SLAP FACE".. so he stopped, immediatley!

It just make me laugh, especially if you imagine it said in a Yorkshire accent...