Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help solving a pretty big problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tigerorchid, Jul 18, 2004.

1. tigerorchid

tigerorchid

Jul 17, 2004
    Deep South
    Hey y'all! I am new to the site, and bass playing, altogether. I haven't bought my bass guitar yet, much less my amp. I am currently searching for both, and plan to purchase both within the next three weeks (anybody w/suggestions on either, feel free to add). Thing is, I will be moving back into the dorms this year and they put me on the dreaded 3rd floor! I'm a pretty athletic girl, but the thought of lugging amp and all up and down four flights of stairs (the building is raised off the ground) is quite dismal! Any particular amps I need to be searching for, or any particular moving equipment? I would hate to pay out my life savings only to watch helplessly as it rolls down four flights of stairs, trampling all the little blonde co-eds in its path! Another problem arises from the glorious dorm life; our house moms are tyrants about noise, so I need a really good practice amp that only allows for sound in my earphones. Any suggestions? Also, I've never practiced with one of these amps...will I expect any noise at all? (I'm telling ya, these women are tyrants). I move in to the dorms in about four weeks, so I gotta get hot on my search! Thanks y'all! -Megan

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I most times at home plug into the soundcard of my computer. Works great for learning songs from MP3 or CD.

I just use a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor and plug into the mic in. Double clicking the volume icon by the time allows you so set the line in and mic in volumes. For a passive bass you can even use the sound card mic pre if needed. I play either through my computer speakers or headphones.

that said, I still recommend an Ashdown MAG or Electric Blue series Combo.

:bassist:

3. There are some pretty good little amps around, I think the best 3 for the money are:

Ashdown Perfect 10/After 8
    Peavey Microbass
    Roland Bass Cube 30

All of them have headphone outputs and can go loud enough to practice at low levels with a band.

4. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    If you are going to be practicing through headphones most of the time, instead of getting an amp, you could get some sort of signal processor, like a digitech bp 50, which has a tuner, effects, and a drum machine to practice with.

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Johnson J-station, great great little practice amp and pretty deceant recording pre-amp. On the bass id just get a carl thompson or sumthing :smug:

6. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    If you are just starting out and you need something to practice with you might look at Tascam's CD-BT1 Portable CD Bass Trainer:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/241110/

It is a portable CD player with an input jack for a bass guitar and both headphone and line out jacks. Very useful for practicing your bass playing using headphones and playing along with CDs (to learn songs) while not disturbing your neighbors.

You really need to try different basses to see what fits you better before buying one. If you have small to medium size hands you might want to try a Daisy Rock Bass - specifically designed for women. They have shorter, thinner necks and are lighter than most Electric Basses on the market. If you buy a Bass that is too heavy or not comfortable to play, you may get frustrated and quit, wasting whatever money you have spent.

Daisy Rock Bass Models from musician's friend:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/513074/
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/513071/

Daisy Rock Website:
    http://www.daisyrock.com/

There are a number of lightweight amps on the market that you could look into once you start playing. Once you are comfortable playing, you might want to join a band. The size of amp you need may depend on the type of music or how loud the band is.

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I strongly second that. I stay up till 3AM practicing with that thing. Plus there's a tuner and a swarm of FX to play with.

8. tigerorchid

tigerorchid

Jul 17, 2004
    Deep South
    Yeah, I've checked out a lot of that type of equipment. I think that may be my best bet to start with cuz of the dorm rules and all. Have you had any experience with the Korg PX4B it's a bass effect processor (has a tuner and all)?

9. tigerorchid

tigerorchid

Jul 17, 2004
    Deep South
    Very good point. I strapped on a few today and I definitely can tell the strain on my back. I have medium hands but long fingers (I know that sounds weird...but they're perfect for the piano and softball) so the neck thickness isn't gonna bother me too much. As for the Daisy Rock...ummmm...thanks for the suggestion. But, the thought of playing a huge flower or a heart-shaped bass kinda makes me wanna wretch...just not that girly.

10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    If you want to get in the game cheap and stay quiet...I would recommend an SX bass from Rondomusic . Yea, you can't check it out but you really don't know what you fits you best until you have been playing for awhile. Also, on the cheap and very easy to transport...a Pock-It Rocket headphone amp. For $210 you could have all new equipment to get you started. Its an idea anyways. I personally would rather have the Korg or Tascam unit.

11. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I second (or third?) the suggestion of the Digitech BP 50 or any of their BP series of multi-fx modelers. When I am on the road for a show or shows, I use it to practice in our hotel room and all I need is my headphones (1/4" plug adapter of course) and either batteries or a wall adapter. Convenient! Like mentioned, has a decent enough tuner, loads of fun and useful modeled sounds and effects...all in all, useful!

Also, that BP50 or BP series of modelers doesn't do too bad in the sound department as it can be used for amplified sounds source as well. OF COURSE it doesn't hold the greatest sounds on earth (though who knows, you may believe so and that's what counts) but just saying it's useable if you ever have to use it for a live show or go direct, or what have you.

You will actually be quite surprised at the quality of sounds. I know I was. And these can be had new or used at prices that is easy on your purse (wallet, money clip, wad of bills, piggy bank, etc).

And speaking for myself, a guy that isn't exactly Hulk Hogan, the Ibanez basses tend to have a slimmer neck and not as heavy as say Fenders and such. Just MHO.

Best of luck!

:hyper:

-T

12. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i used to own the korg pandora px3b and it was amazing. i would strongly recommend the korg pandoras to you. they are great in the studio and for practicing at home, and even live if you get your settings just right. i also second the idea of the SX basses. nice, cheap basses.

13. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    As for a bass, you should check out a Dean Edge 4. I can't tell you much about quality and reliability and such, but I played one recently and absolutely LOVED the feel of it, it was very light and probably the easiest bass to play that I've tried. And you can't go wrong with the peavey Milestone series... I've had one (milestone III or something) for about 5 years now, I don't use it too much lately, but I love the thing, it's never done me wrong.

And I agree with whoever said peavey microbass. I love mine. Ever so much.

14. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i will also second the peavey milestone. i had a milestone IV for a few years (my first bass) and i really loved it. i got it on sale locally for $180 new.