Need Help Speccing a PA System

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by malthumb, Apr 3, 2004.

Which PA Set Up for a Small Church

Poll closed Apr 13, 2004.
  1. Behringer PMX2000 w/ 2 Yamaha S12e $ 700

0 vote(s)
  2. Behringer PMX2000 w/ 2 Yamaha S12V $ 900

0 vote(s)
  3. Yamaha EMX66M w/ 2 Yamaha S12e $ 900

1 vote(s)
  4. Yamaha EMX66M w/ 2 Yamaha S112V $1,100

0 vote(s)
  5. Yamaha MG12-4 w/ 2 JBL EON15P $ 980

3 vote(s)
  1. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Don't know if this is better in AMPS or MISCELLANEOUS.....

I'm in the process of helping my church replace the PA System for the choirs. I don't know much at all about audio or amps. I just know when what I have sounds right. Anyway, here's some of the options I'm mulling over after some internet researching and some time spent at GC and other music / pro audio stores:

Option 1:
    Behringer PMX2000 powered mixer w/2 Yamaha S12e speakers. Behringer is $300. 250W/channel @ 4 ohms, 9 inputs. Speakers are $190 each and rated at 250 RMS @ 8 ohms.
    Option 1A would be the Behringer with 2 Yamaha S112V speakers. $300 each, 350 RMS @ 8 ohms

Option 2:
    Yamaha EMX66M powered mixer with either of the speaker pairs in Option 1 / 1A. The EMX66M is $500. 300W/channel @ 4 ohms. 6 inputs.

Option 3:
    Yamaha MG12-4 mixer. This one is not powered. Has 12 inputs. $180. It would be combined with 2 JBL EON 15P powered speakers. $400 each. 150W LF and 50W HF at each speaker.

Any experts out there willing to provide a little guidance and a lot of learning?

Whatever I wind up recommending needs to be portable, for when the choir travels to other churches for concerts and such.

2. bassplayer347

bassplayer347 Guest

Dec 24, 2003
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Those JBL Eon's are fantastic value, they're loud and they sound quite good. JBL don't make junk! I've seen them used by bands as vocal PA's and by many Duo's and Trio's and no-one has even given them a bad coment. They're not too heavy either. You'll realise before long how handy those extra inputs are on the mixing desk. I'm basically voting for this system because I think in the long run, it's the one that won't need upgrading too soon, and should prove reliable.
  4. I'm with Pete on this one. My GF has had three powered JBL EONs and a 12 channel mixer for a little over a year now and has never had a single problem. The nice thing about this set-up is its flexibility. You can bring only what you'll need for any given situation. I have even borrowed her EONs to add to my bands PA for a few out-door shows. What's really cool about them is that you can add them on to an existing speaker load (such as monitors and mains of the existing PA) and since they're powered they will not change the impedence. The only drawback I've found is that the power chords are too darn short! I've been looking for ways around this. It's pretty minimal in the overall picture.
  5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    For some unknown reason I have been annointed with the task of providing the PA for my country project, regardless of the fact that I don't sing! But, I use a Yamaha MG 16/6 FX and Eon 15 G2s. I think these are a winning combination. Sonically, the Mackie SM 450s are supposed to sound better than the 15 G2s, but let's face it, the JBLs are bulletproof and handle prolonged heat heat issues better. I vote Yamaha and JBL!