Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help spending money!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joeyang761020, May 28, 2005.

1. Hello everybody, I eventually made up my mind to get a decent rig since my band is starting to gig regularly. So yeah, I got 1500 canadian(1200 USD) in my pocket right now from summer job last year, but I have no clue what to get.. :) ..so yeah..need some help here. I played mostly cliche hardcore/emo rock, sometime some indie and Jazz for the school....I perfer a punchy growly bass sounds with some decent smooth sounding high. Right now, Ive a really odd setup...Bass-->Washburn 30 watt guitar combo disconnected to the speaker-->Bassman 100 combo....and it sounds alright, it has a little distortion from pushing the washburn preamp. The only problem is that everytime I turn up the bass, it become really muddy. I am thinking of maybe getting a Avatar 410...cause that can still save some money for a good head. That leave me around 750 USD for a head. So yeah, some suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Hartke 7000 or a GK1001RB-II both come to mind in that price range. The Hartke is more versitile, I like the GK's sound better though.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Buy used, but do it carefully. You can get a better head for your money.

4. I found a Mesa bass 400+ with roadcase online for 1100 Canadian(875 USD)...seems like a deal..should I get it??

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    That's not a bad price...I got my 400+ a few month ago for 800 with Mesa shock case...and an extra set of tubes. It's a great amp. I would suggest checking out the tubes, since if you have to re-tube the amp you're looking at a few hundred more.

Grab yerself one of those newly available in Canada Avatar cabs and you'll be all set.

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Where did you say that was?

How about a preamp/power amp thingie?
    New or used...
    BBE BMax or SansAmp RBI preamp
    or 2nd hand Ampeg preamp
    +
    QSC RMX 850 power amp

7. come on...tbers.....now its the time for you the shine......suggestion needed!!!

8. hardcore and emo, aaaaaaaarg not the same not the same aaaaaaaarrrrrgggg

Altho, most of those bands use the same kind of setup, ampeg 8x10 and SVT type head, either that or a mesa 400 ( + ) , look for stuff second hand, an amp thats at least a tube pre and a 4x10 is what you need id think

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I hate to say it, but in this neck of the woods emo and HC swim in the same pool.

Long gone are the days when hardcore meant punk.

10. Yeah i know, to me it still does, SOIA, Turning Point, Slapshot, 7 Seconds, Insted etc etc, you even get newer bands pulling it off really well, staying true you could say, Champion for instance

I just hate the emo being hardcore thing, its just, not right :(

11. meh.....What can I say....I guess these days hardcore are being refering to metal hardcore. Emo not= hardcore that for sure...From my shallow knowledge...Most of those band have hardcore instrumental music having a emo singer...I guess that the trend right now, and my band want to do that kind of approach. Anyway, about the amp...I don't want to be shy in the mix...so I don't SVT think is what I wanted... any other suggestion? Is Eden out of my price range?

12. I'd get the 400+ definately. Versatile tube tone. Grab it!

13. Fair enough, i just dont think its right confound it!

An SVT isnt always shy in the mix, not by a long shot ( if you find it is, turn it up and blow those guitarists away ;) )

Just saying most bands of those ilk's are using all valve amps, you may want to invest in a sansamp BDDI, those things are ace and used widely through out for adding more crunch to the sound

14. kustom groove bass head... like $600

15. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I vote for the Kustom Groove Bass head.

...and don't even get me started on the "emo" thing.

www.fourfa.com

16. +1 on the kustom groove - will leave you 600 dollars or so for cabs (and the amp supports a 2-ohm load).

BUT...

Here's another suggestion (using US$):

- Used Peavey Firebass/Nitrobass (will give you 700 or 450 watts into two ohms) - Nitrobass will run you about $240 used/Firebass about $350 (YMMV).

- If you want the tube sound - add a tube preamp (let's say 300 dollars for this).

- This leaves you about $550 (or $650 with the Nitrobass option) dollars for your cabs and/or effects.

- So, let's say you get Avatar's B210 NEO and B212 NEO - both at 4 ohms (allowing your head to ouput its maximum wattage at 2 ohms). Gives you flexibility for your rig given the size of venue for your gigs. Plus it gives you the option for bigger venues to use your cabs as stageside monitors for the band while you use the Balanced XLR pre or post amp out from the Peavey amp head into the PA.

- If you bought the Nitrobass, you would still have about 75 dollars to look for some used effects (or buy a nice inline chromatic tuner).

How's that for a rig.

Take care,
    Jay

17. Hey...sounds pretty good...except Ive never see a firebbass or nitrobass in Ontario though. I was considering Kustom, yet they don't have dealer in Ontario. Man, sucks to live in Ontario... I might consider the sansamp preamp powering with QSC... But question is, where can I get QSC amp Toronto area??

18. Try the classifieds here or ebay for the Peavey amps...

If you need to go a more expensive amp route - my suggestions will remain the same - just get a simpler preamp like a Presonus tubepre....one-trick pony, but a good one. It only runs 100 dollars shipped from most places. Now you have 550 or 600 dollars to buy your head and still have enough to get the two Avatar cabs.

Just my opinion of course.

Jay

19. Personally, I think the Peavey is a good idea, they're a lot of bang for the buck in reliability, sound, and performance.

Instead of getting a tube pre (avoid the presonus at all costs (haha, which = 100 bucks.. hehe) because it's circuit allows highly insufficient power to be allocated to the actual tube, meaning the tube is there mostly for show.

You could get a Peavey T-Max (or firebass, or the other one) used which would be cheap and give a tube sound that I've heard (though not of my own hears) to sound better than the newer SVT's. Then get either an Avatar 2x12 or a 2x10 with a 1x15 for a versatile, cheap, powerful, AND loud setup.

20. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Good question; I don't see anything in your area on QSC's website.

You might PM or email Bob Lee (here on TB); he works for QSC or email QSC directly or try to find one 2nd hand.

A Crest CA6 would be awesome if you could find a used one you could afford.