Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help swapping out a speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Neves, Nov 6, 2004.

1. I have a D145 JBL 15" speaker that was re-coned with an "E" kit. I guess it's now considered an E 145.
    I am thinking about going to a lighter speaker such as the Eminance Delta Lite Series.
    I like the tone and the differance in weight is almost 20 lbs. less. The Eminence is also rated at 300 watts.
    The cabinet is homemade, I got the plans from the JBL web site.
    http://www.jblpro.com/pub/manuals/enclgde.pdf

I went with the number 6 cabinet design.
    Can I simply swap out the speaker for the Eminence?
    I don't know anything about the Thiele-Small Parameters, maybe someone here can advise me.
    Here are the Eminence and JBL specs.

http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/products02/neo/neo2515.htm

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/eseries.pdf

Thanks for any help.
    ;)

2. Jim York

Jim York

Oct 27, 2004
    You might want to check this out before investing in that driver. I use one and it's better than any 1x15 I've heard and weighs only 30 pounds.

www.billfitzmaurice.com/plans/product_info.php/products_id/3

If you want to swap drivers for a particular box download the WinISD freeware program; you can use it to see if another driver will work in an existing box and how to retune (change port dimensions) the box if required.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    First off, I have a JBL E145 and they are a very good speaker. I'm not just talking about tone. I'm also talking about the way they're designed and excursion characteristics.

This is unfortunately where the Deltalites fall down. The 10" isn't too bad, but the 12 and the 15 are borderline junk. Using the Thielle Small paramaters and the appropriate formulas, the 15 likes a cab that's in the vicinity of 360 litres (12.7 cu'ft), or larger depending on the alignment. That's an enormous speaker cab no matter how you look at it.

Excursion characteristics are terrible for the Deltalite 15. This speaker can only handle the full 300w for frequencies down to about 220Hz. At frequencies below that, it takes ver little watts to make the speaker hit it's excursion limit and distort. This is usually a sign that the speaker was designed for PA use rather than Bass amplification. In a PA, this speaker would be used in conjunction with a crossover sub to take the bottom end, meaning this speaker would not have to deal with the low frequencies with which it struggles.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the case with most of the lightweight Neo speakers built so far. Of the ones I've looked at so far, the only 15" neo I'd consider for a bass rig is the B&C 15HPL76.

Oh and the JBL design looks very "generic". I'd be looking to taylor it more for the specific speaker you decide to use. If it happens to be the E145, I'm happy to share the specs of the speaker I built.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yes, a while ago. They're also very good. I can't remember what exactly tipped it in favour of the B&C, thought I think from memory, they were more expensive and harder to get in Australia. Certainly worth a look.

5. Petebass,
    That's what I want to hear the pros and or the cons.
    I made this cabinet to the JBL specs and have never had this problem with it before. It's about 2 years old.
    Is it possible this may not be the best cab design for bass?
    I was looking for the smallest possible cab that would meet their specs for that speaker.
    I agree that the JBL is one of the best ever speakers out there. But am confused and dissapointed as to what's happening. I really like the sound.
    At a recent gig I noticed the speaker farting out on the low, "A" note on my 4 string jazz bass.
    Why this is happening I am not sure.
    The cabinet is sealed tight and solid, the speaker is fastened securely to the baffle.
    I'm not sure what the JBL is rated at but it seems to be giving out.
    I use a Walter Woods Ultra High Power and the volume was set to the passive side with gain about 10:00.
    What other speaker would you suggest?
    Tell me more about the B&C 15HPL76.
    Is there a Web site?

Thanks