1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NEED HELP!!! SWR 2x10 speaker content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spinal Tapper, May 6, 2010.

1. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Hey everyone, I need some suggestions on new speakers for my SWR 2x10 cabinet. One of them sounds like its farting out pretty bad at higher volumes, I noticed last night at rehearsal.

I've had it for a few years, and it was previously owned by a friend for years before that, I'm pretty sure the speaks are original. This thing is a workhorse - it's a Goliath III (350 watts, 8ohm). It looks like this...before I did my custom tolex job
    original.

and now...
    front1.

Anyways, I was thinking of maybe even putting in higher wattage speakers.

I run it with a Markbass R500 head and Orange 15" bottom cabinet.

I need suggestions on what to do! Google isn't much help...

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    so it looks like I'll need two 16 ohm 10" speakers...now to decide on wattage...my head is only 500 watts(4ohm), and the Orange is 600 Watt handling (8ohm)...what wattage 10" speakers should I get??? Stock, my cab is 350 watts @ 8ohm...so that's 2 175 watt speakers @ 16 ohm??

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    sorry for bumping this again, but can anyone help? any recommendations for speaker brands or online places with good deals???

4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    You might PM eastcoasteddie, I think he used some 4Ω Eminence BP102s (series wiring) in that cab. You could also check out the B&C 16Ω drivers that usspeaker.com has, but be prepared for sticker shock.

The watts thing is really not as important as the TS parameters to match the originals as close as possible, and you'll probably never be able to find those numbers anyway.

You could ask SWR what they recommend, (It's sort of the standard thing to suggest to keep from getting tarred and feathered on this subject.)

5. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    I believe SWR uses PAS speakers at one time, and Celestions too. Edens should be suitable too.

Your head is 500 Watts at 4ohms, then you probably want to split it half and half into your 15 and your 210. So that's 250 Watts per cab, and 125 Watts into each of the 10 inch drivers. Your orange will be fine handling it, and just about any 10 inch will do. However, you may want to look into sensitivity too.

Impedance-wise, you have 2 choices, either 2 4 ohms in series or 2 16 ohms in parallel. I'd recommend the latter due to availability.

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks for the responses so far.

So you think if I used these, I'd be too overkill?

http://usspeaker.com/homepage.htm

I'm looking at the Delta 10B (16 ohm)

These are rated at 350 watts a piece...so my cab would go from a 350 watt cab to a 700 watt cab.

Would there be any potential problems with doing this??

7. Brattbugg

Brattbugg Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    I just put 2 Bp102's in a Gk Combo, that is about the same size as yours (I have the SWR too). I bought from USSpeaker and it was $160 shipped. The 102's are more bass heavy than the Deltas. I dont like the clicky sound anywayof SWR . I put in 2 4 ohms and wired them in series....Fabulous!

8. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    US speaker lies about the specs, a lot, it seems. The Xmax of the Delta 10B is 1.8mm, not 3.5mm, which ain't all that great anyway. Straight from the horses teeth...http://www.eminence.com/pdf/delta-10b.pdf

Stop going by thermal power handling. The Deltas will reach maximum excursion likely around 200-250 watts (both combined), so the 350 watt rating is meaningless.

9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    PM'ed you

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm picking up a set of these Genz Benz GB210T-XB2 16ohm drivers from a local guy for $70 for the pair...anyone know anything about them?

I guess that cab is rated at 350 watts @ 8 ohms, same as my SWR, so these should be a perfect replacement...ideally...right?

http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=1432&sid=427&cid=96