Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help to beomce a good bassist

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by TransAntartic, Mar 13, 2006.

1. TransAntartic

TransAntartic

Mar 13, 2006
    Hello, My name is Ravel and one day a feeling came to me that there must be a way to become the bassist i wanted to and so I came to this site in hopes of being to talk to many experienced bassists and learn the way to great bass playing, iam no longer comtempt with my scales, appregios and random note playing (within the scale) improvision. Hopefully the Pros will share thier experience and methods to lend a helping hand to a person who loves the bass. For a background cheak i took classes on theory in hopes that it would help alot nad currently i am in Ap Music theory , not so much as having total control to my bass it pretty much gave me a better understanding of how to analyze music and the skills that's out there , once again thx for reading and please lend me your support , I'm dreaming of going to Music Academy in Burkley in New York

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    welcome Ravel!

You've come to the right place.

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Find a good teacher.

4. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    jam with as many people as you can, real life application of theaory teaches so much

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    If you fill out your profile, it helps us help you. No offense but from the spelling, I don't know if your a kid, overseas or just not careful.

Both getting a good teacher AND jamming with lots of different people would help a lot.

Welcome, and by the way, if I didn't use a spell checker, I'd look sloppy.:)

6. RSalvador

RSalvador

Nov 19, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    Everything said so for is great advice. Also don't forget listening. Listen every performing player you can both live and recorded. Why are they playing what they are playing and how they choosing to play it? What is the effect on the music? How would you play it?

Its so simple it might sound dumb but I've found that my listening skills enhance my playing. Especially when I go hear musicians on a similar level as me. I find myself thinking that what they are doing is good but...and I get ideas of my own that come out when I'm playing. You need to have good chops, but should use them to express your own musical ideas, and listening feeds that.