1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help to choose a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shaolin, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Shaolin

Shaolin

Aug 13, 2018
    Hello everybody,

I'm going to buy a bass and I cannot try one before buying (I don't have a local store where I am).

Here I have these models in the same price range:
    Yamaha TRBX 505 , Cort B6, Ibanez SR805, Ibanez BTB 675

These a little more expensive: Ibanez BTB 705DX, Yamaha TRBX 605

Which one would you choose?

2. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    Yamaha wins. IMO

nolezmaj likes this.
  3. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    I would save up for a used StingRay 5H. That is a bass you would want for life, IMO.

4. Shaolin

Shaolin

Aug 13, 2018
    I would be more than happy if I had a StingRay 5 but in my country they are very expensive. Those basses are the best ones I can afford.

I like almost everything Yamaha does. I own a RBX 5A2 and I like it but I'm thinking in selling this and get one of those I listed above

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  5. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    Sure, I understand. It's an easy decision then. Yamaha TRBX 505 for the win. My first bass was a Yamaha BBN5 and I still regret giving that bass to a family member (for free). I asked to BUY it back a few years ago and we nearly had an argument about it...he didn't want to let go of it. :roflmao:

Save the extra cash you would have spent on the 605 to get a professional setup and some really nice strings.

nolezmaj likes this.
  6. Yamaha all the way.

nolezmaj likes this.
  7. Shaolin

Shaolin

Aug 13, 2018
    I guess I'll get a Yamaha, but doing some research, I found a BB 435 about the same price of the TRBX 505. I watchet a lot of videos of the BB 435 and I really enjoyed what I heard. But then again, I can't play one before buying it.

What do you guys think? TRBX 505 or BB 435?

8. Im a bb fan for sure. But my bbg4 body I am in love with. The trbx are just a little too aggressive looking for me.im not quite hooked on them yet. I prefer a passive bass with classic contours and feel. I cant attest to the sound of a trb as i have not played one only heard clips. They are so versatile and so many tones can be made . Im sure id probably love it if i played it. For me i would pick a bb.

9. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    If you prefer a wider string spacing, BTB.
    If you prefer a narrower, Yamaha.

srayb likes this.
  10. Isn't P with tort always the official TB answer? :laugh:

Yammybass likes this.
  11. Shaolin

Shaolin

Aug 13, 2018
    I wish to thank you all for your opinion. I just got the BB 435. I went to a town near me and could try the bass. Beautiful color, killer tone, just like what I was expecting. Here it is (don't mind my little kid):

upload_2018-11-14_20-53-50.

Mark76 and Thick McRunfast like this.
  12. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    I like Ibanez, they seem to make instruments of really high quality compared to the price they ask.
    Even their budget line is generally of really good quality.

If I wanted a 5 string, which I don't, and I had to chose one of the basses you mention I would probably go for the Ibanez BTB 705DX.

Yamaha seems to make good instruments too though, so weather you chose one of the Ibanez ones or the Yamaha you should be fine really.

Best advice is to try them all and pick the one you think sounds the best and is most comfortable to play on.

Edit!!!:
    Oh, I see that you have already chosen.
    Congratulations with your new bass.
    To be honest I actually prefer basses with P/J pickup configuration too.
    Didn't look the Yamaha up though, so wasn't aware.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018