Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help to Identify my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by precision61, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Hello
    I just purchased old bass from the dealer.
    It has Carved top with medium grain Spuce and solid maple side.
    However its back is Plywood.

Its neck is Eb neck made by bitch wood and Ebony Fingerboard. It seems to be German bass for me. It has some oil finish. That is no label or any hint to identify. But the dealer told me that he took this bass form retired musician.

Now it is in the process of restoration. Dose someone familiar with this kind of bass? Could you help me to identify it? Thank you in advance.

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    No ones likely to be able to help you without a much more detailed description. Try to get some pictures up.

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing....
    "bitch wood"

post some photos of your bass! words don't really do much for an instrument's identity.

4. Sorry for my poor english.
    that should be beach wood, i am not sure.
    But, Its neck is not Maple.
    I will post the pic. later
    Thank you for your help

5. Opp!!
    Actually, it is a Birch wood neck
    sorry for my typing error.

6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hey, don't apologize! It's great that you are learning another language, and English at that. Our grammar has all these funny rules that always have exceptions. I wish more Americans would appreciate the difficulty in being a foreigner; Welcome to Talkbass.

I had just spent all day fitting maple cleats to the inside of a bass back. When I read "bitch wood", I knew you meant "birch wood". But "bitch wood" was really what I had been thinking for the last three hours....:D