1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help transposing

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by warduke75, Apr 15, 2010.

1. warduke75

warduke75

Jan 19, 2009
    Trying to transpose a piece of music.
    It is written in B (BEAD) and I need to change it to
    Drop C (CGCF). This is driving me completely crazy!
    I am trying to convert it to TAB while doing this (thinking this would be easier) but I am at a loss.
    As far as the low string (B) all the notes would need to go up 1/2 step, but when I get to the next string (E to G) I am totally lost. Anyone wanna tell me the easiest way to do this in TAB? Like, for the E string, move the notes this many steps up, A string, this many steps up.... etc.

2. why do you need to change your tuning....why not leave it as is and slide everything up a half

3. warduke75

warduke75

Jan 19, 2009
    Sorry, It's a tab I'm trying to convert written in BEAD and my band wants to play it, but our guitar player will only play in standard E, Drop D or Drop C. So I need to convert it to Drop C. We each have 3 instruments that are kept in those keys for our shows.

4. slide the whole thing up to the fifth fret and bobs yer uncle....standard E......change the string names on the tab.......

5. It is not easy to figure out what you want exactely.
    Would you please give us the first riff of the original bass line in BEAD, then the chord actually played by your guitarist, and if possible the name of the song if we can find it on youtube or deezer, I think it would be easier for us to help you.

6. warduke75

warduke75

Jan 19, 2009
    The name of the song is Five Finger Death Punch's cover of Bad Company. It is written in Drop B but the only tab I can find is in BEAD and my low bass is always tuned to Drop D. Thus the need to transpose it. I guess Guitar Pro is the way to go as I cannot figure out how to make Tux Guitar transpose it correctly. That's what I get for going the free route I guess :)

7. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Why don't you play it the way you want to, and if the guitar player wants to play drop C, drop D or drop DEAD then let him. There's no rule that says everybody has to use the same tuning system, just as long as they play the right notes.

The way to do this is to go via the actual notes (assuming drop C):
    3rd fret on B string is D. D on C string is 2nd fret.
    2nd fret on E string is F#. F# is 6th fret on C string.
    4th fret on E string is G#. G# is 1st fret on G string.

Repeat for every number in your tab. Or ditch the tab and figure out how it should sound and play that.

<rant>
    This is why tabs without basic knowledge of scales and intervals is completely worthless. Learn the notes and where they are on your fret board. Then the tabs can be of some value.
    </rant>