1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help troubleshooting an Eden Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I have an Eden CXC1015 combo, which is a World Traveler head with a single 10" and a single 15" in a combo amp. I was getting horrible distortion so I disconnected the internal speaker cable and connected my SVT 3 PRO to the external speaker jack....still horrible distortion, so I know it's something in the speaker cab.

My question is; how do you get at front loaded speakers, and in listening, it sounds like the distortion is coming from all 3 speakers. Could the problem be the speaker cable that all 3 speakers connect to, or is it more likely to be a single speaker?

Last, if it is one of the speakers (or all of them) is it smarter to replace or have the speakers reconed or repaired?

Thanks -Skel

2. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Bump.

Ok, how do you get to a front loaded speaker? I've never done this before. THANKS.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    You have to sneak the grille off first. It should be held by screws, velcro, or some similar arrangement. Sometimes you can grip a grille by the nameplate, other times you have to pry it out carefully.

Once this is done, you unscrew the drivers and lift them out. Now you have access to the inside of the cab.

4. The grill to the first CXC-110 I got was just press-fit into the front, & pulled straight out. It also had a very poorly-built driver; the rubber surround was secured for only about 1/4 of it's diameter. :meh: I decided that that was the reason behind the speaker's heinous farting on the E string(although the B sounded alright...:eyebrow: ). This was a 'blem' from Zzounds. *Blem*...:meh: It came out of the box w/ALL the plastic corners destroyed, as well as the speaker plug. In addition to not being glued worth a flip, the driver's cone was also totally misaligned & off-center. Anyway, I got a new one from BassNorthWest(at a much better deal :hyper: )- also a nightmare, this time it was on UPS, then Eden- this ones grill was screwed on from the front. Hope this helps- I feel a little better. :D

5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Thanks for the replies. Does anybody have any opinions as to whether it's better or smarter to replace bad speakers verses getting them repaired?

Thanks again.