1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Help UPS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mojo-Man, May 12, 2010.

1. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I just received a Ampeg B15R.
    This amp has some history.
    It was owned by Jess Oliver of Ampeg. (I have paper work with amp)
    Jess consulted on the making of the B15R.
    This bass was sent to him by Ampeg when they came out. (it's #17)
    For Jess to go over, and comment.
    It is dead mint and never left Jess Olivers home. ( Jess never used it)
    The seller I bought it from, got it from Jess, and used it twice.
    It was to heavy for him to use for gigs.
    It is dead mint, with less than 10 hours use.
    Until UPS got there hand on it.
    The bass was packed great, and due to poor handling by UPS
    Amp was upside down on truck, off casters when I recieved it.
    And driver was flipping over amp to back of truck. ( I personally seen this)
    They caused about $300 worth of damage to amp.
    I filed a claim, and they did an over the phone claim.
    Seller just called me, and said, they rejected claim, do to poor packing on his part.
    How can they make judgement without seeing amp or package.
    I assume they just refuse ever claim hoping some people give up?
    What can I do to get my insurance money !!!!HELP!!!!!
    UPS was happy to take my $125.00 for shipping, plus insurance money.
    Any legal Dudes out there?

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, it appears that it is the shipper's responsibilty now. if he didn't pack it properly, which i guess that UPS already has determined, then UPS is not going to pay for it.

i would try to get the shipper to reimburse you for the repair costs since, UPS is going to be of no help, even though they probably did mistreat the package (very common).

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Interesting you saw the driver abusing it and you still signed for it.
    Everybody does. Human nature. There's always some fine print on what you sign.

The seller contracts with UPS, not the person who receives it.

Get it fixed, then haggle with the seller.

4. Cory

Cory

May 16, 2004
    TEXAS
    I have actually experienced a very similar thing with UPS. Large/Heavy boxes are not handled lightly. :spit:

The poor packing is a common/default response for them. I was once told that even when a UPS store packed and shipped it. I challenged it to say the least and had quite a few words with management and got my $$ back. It took a lot of showing my Irish temper to them though.

5. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    not specifically putting you down, but the whole thing, when i receive my ampeg amp in the mail in a few days (just bought it off the classifieds!), and it looks messed up, just don't sign for it. refuse it.

in restaurants, we regularly refuse boxes of goods that come off of the truck damages, or produce that isn't the quality we want/use. There's no reason that you can't do the same.

6. It's also a sign of the times, everyone is looking to protect their profits. Being said, insurance insures that the seller will get the amp to you properly and having shipped hundreds of items UPS over the years, I've seen more claims lately and if the packer does their job right, they will win their dispute. If they packed it poorly, they will lose and you have the right to get your money back. That is, I hope you paid Paypal.

7. silen7ce

silen7ce

Dec 11, 2006
    You filed the claim? My dealings with UPS have always required the seller/shipper to file the claim. My experience has always been that the seller tells UPS it is damaged, UPS returns it to sender to determine extent of damage, and then inspects packaging if they choose to. I've never heard of UPS denying a claim without going through this process or at least seeing the packaging.

8. thatonedude02

thatonedude02

Jan 31, 2010
    Colorado
    For starts, get your money back from the seller.

After that, let the seller deal with UPS.

I hear that greyhound (the bus line) will ship items like this for a moderate fee (but they are reasonable) and they handle things well. Might be worth looking in to.

9. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    I'm just sick over this.

I'm going to say this once and only once. I don't care who you are, or where you are from. If the amp is a collector's item with priceless esoteric value, you drive your sorry tail to wherever it is and you PICK IT UP.

In November 2007 My buddy and I launched for the west coast and I picked up 4 AMPEG fridge cabs and brought them home. Two in California and Two in Phoenix.

I just wrote the cost into the equasion and these weren't even Esoteric cabs, however one was a discontinued NOS SVT-215e sitting new still in a music store, the other was a new 810 I just grabbed because it was there.

Jess Oliver amp bouncing via UPS; everybody involved should be ashamed of themselves.

BOB

10. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    am i reading your profile right, that you rig is 6 amps running 5 fridges and 2 215s?

how exactly do you feed 1 bass signal into that?

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    The driver did not require a signature.
    I ever asked about it.
    They said I did not have to sign.

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Still though, you can refuse a delivery with or without signature needed. Once you accepted it, you basically absolved them of the damage done by the driver tossing it around in your sight.

13. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    See PM