1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help valuing a Reverend Rumblefish w/ low serial number (#44)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SinglecutGuy, Oct 3, 2013.

1. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy

Apr 23, 2013
    Employee at a Guitar Shop
    I just took this in on trade and need to move it, so this will most likely be going up for sale soon, but I'm having a really hard time finding a value on these. Seems like some guys love them, others don't even know about them. It's in pretty good shape, some nicks here and there but it sounds great and plays awesome. The back says #44, so this is a pretty low serial number. No case, just how you see it.

What do you guys think its worth?

DSC_0044_zps217bf85d.
    DSC_0045_zps7502b4da.
    DSC_0053_zps53a03df4.
    DSC_0049_zpsbf8408e3.
    DSC_0052_zpsab10f31d.
    DSC_0057_zpsea7f4dc8.
    DSC_0054_zpsb0eda03c.

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The SN is actually 00457-44

3. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy

Apr 23, 2013
    You are correct, my mistake. Should have said low production number.

4. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy

Apr 23, 2013
    So is that a negative on helping me with a value?

5. I suggest checking out the forums at www.reverendguitars.com I believe they have a classified section. Regardless, there are lots of reverenfans who might help you

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You can search the classifieds forums here for closed sales.

Without the original case, looks ok enough in terms of condition.
    Probably worth $600-700 depending on who is looking at it.
    These were never high dollar basses, and haven't really appreciated since they quit making them.

IMO, YMMV, etc.

7. Sweet bass! I have #47. Same color, too, but mine has a rosewood board.
    FWIW, I sold mine two years ago for $775 before buying it back for the same price. And I just sold #62 for $700, but it had an issue with the neck. Without that, I would have held out for $800 at least.

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Dave; did you have original cases with those?

9. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    The standard 'fish are more numerous than any other model by about 300 units. Which doesn't seem like alot, but what it does mean is that all of the collectors most likely already got one. The maple necks are somewhat rare, so that helps. If this was a PJ or XL with a maple neck, I think you'd be $800+.

10. camthebassman

camthebassman

Jan 7, 2012
    That's odd...you have this bass on e-bay, but not on Talk Bass? There was a Reverend on e-bay a while back that was brand new...I think that one went for a crazy number...around $1500. I don't remember what type it was.

11. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That right there would be a good reason to try and sell it on Ebay first. They might get twice as much money :)

12. camthebassman

camthebassman

Jan 7, 2012
    I hear you...I'm considering moving one of my basses over there...no action here so far. I bought my XL on ebay a couple of years ago.

13. Yes, with both. I guess that helps push the price up. Me, I'd buy an early 'Fish in a plastic bag. #12 is in the classifieds right now, in fact!

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I think original case does indeed push the value up, by $150-200-ish.........

15. camthebassman

camthebassman

Jan 7, 2012
    That's a very expensive fish

16. Wow! $1150. Just like the good 'ol days.
    I'm looking at it this way: I paid $650 new for #47, and as noted above, sold it (and bought it back) for $775 when it was 13 years old. How many basses go up in value?

17. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy

Apr 23, 2013
    Kinda shocked myself guys. I was hoping for $800 on this and couldn't believe how high this went.

18. Garyth

Garyth Now What ..?

Sep 9, 2013
    Punta Gorda Florida
    OH NO! it was worth twice that !! :eek:

actually, I have no idea, but it's a scary thought.

19. rkingly

rkingly "Playing Reverend Basses on a Regular Basis"

Sep 8, 2007
    Virginia
    Endorsing Artist: Reverend Guitars
    That beauty is 1 of 5 Rumblefish in Indigo & the only 1 with a Maple Board. A 1 of a kind in a production run of 418 is a killer score. I really wanted this one but I had a feeling that it would go for more than I was willing to throw at it.

Dave Siff is your Rumblefish Navy?

SinglecutGuy I had thought to offer $700.00 considering lack of original case and the wear/damage. Then I noticed the eBay auction and bailed.
    Congrats on the sale.

I also find it interesting that R5L # 3 isn't reaching the reserve.
    Great 5 string basses that I play regularly along with my Mercalli. That color oozes retro. Sweet!